Chapter 4: Side Effects

Jake's perspective – 5 minutes earlier

I slammed the door to my Jeep and slung my bag over my shoulder. I was still fuming from what'd happened earlier today at school, but as Sam stepped out from the passenger seat, he froze -

- Wait... Do you hear that?

We were standing in the driveway of his house, and it must have been 90 degrees outside. But before I had a chance to get annoyed and snap at him, I noticed the faintest sound of music coming from inside the house. Sam gave me a surprised look and whispered —

- Em must be practicing cello. She doesn't let anyone hear her play anymore... even me.

I was about to suggest that we give her some privacy and go get McDonald's, but I couldn't resist the rare chance of seeing Emma in her element. Sam opened the door slowly, and we walked in, putting our bags down and tiptoeing lightly up the stairs.

Emma used to play for me and Sam all the time back when we were all in third grade, but she had just started taking lessons then, and I think even she would admit that she wasn't particularly good. I think seventh grade was the last time I'd heard her play – she'd participated in the school-wide talent show and had done really well, but for some reason, I hadn't heard her since.

Now, the song she was playing sounded really difficult even though she made it seem so effortless. I didn't know much about music, but I knew the song was kind of fast and she wasn't missing a single beat. It almost sounded like it could have been a recording except for the fact that the walls and banister up the stairs buzzed from the acoustic vibrations of her instrument. As Sam and I reached the top of the stairs, he peaked his head around the corner of her door and then signaled for me to join him.

For some forbidden reason, my heart began to pound in anticipation as I stepped around the corner to get a look. And when I did, I was in awe. Emma sat in the middle of her room with her cello cradled between her legs, playing with her eyes closed. The late-afternoon sun beamed down, causing golden rays to permeate the stagnant, dusty air.

Just as the moonlight had spiraled through her hair weeks ago, sunlight now danced through her soft, auburn curls. Her head swayed to the music, and I watched her fingers as they moved all over the instrument's neck. Little clouds of dust formed from the fast scrubbing of the bow.

It was so... pure, so innocent – it was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen. For the first time in a really long time, my entire body relaxed, and my chest swelled with a warm feeling. The horrible day I'd just had faded to nothingness. My breathing slowed and I stood there, completely and utterly hypnotized by her.

The song ended, and her eyes fluttered open and met mine. I stared, still enchanted, hardly noticing that all the color drained from her face. She looked like she was going to be sick as her eyes darted from me to Sam, who I had forgotten was even there, and back to me. Sam began to clap obnoxiously as Emma got up swiftly and started walking towards me. Still a little disoriented by the whole scene, I thought she was coming over to jump into my arms. She got closer and I instinctively brought my arms up to catch her when the door slammed in my face.

- Oh, Em come on! It was beautiful! I haven't heard you play in ages! There's nothing to be embarrassed about...

Sam whined, playfully hitting her door. Meanwhile, I was a little stunned, but it's safe to say that the loud thud of the door in my face had officially knocked me out of my trance. I turned and walked over to the couch.

- Shall we?

Sam turned around and sighed in defeat -

- Damn... Yeah, let me get the booze from my room.