Chapter 18: Paradox

Jake's Perspective

As I turned the jets on in the hot tub and flipped on the house lights overlooking the patio, I took a second to admire the sky as it molted its midday colors and primed itself for sunset.

I took off my shirt and threw it over my shoulder before hearing a rustle at the door. Turning, I saw Emma wrapped in a towel, tip-toeing secretively back inside.

- Where are you going?

She stopped dead in her tracks, wincing as she slowly turned around to reveal cheeks the color of maraschino cherries.

- I uh - are we really... you know... are we sure this is a super great idea?

As my head tilted to the side, I couldn't hide the smirk that spread across my face.

- Is what a 'super great idea'?

- Hot tub and all that. Half naked and whatnot...

- You do realize that eventually I'm going to see you fully naked, right?

- Okay I'm going back ins-

- Emma Knight, if you don't get in this hot tub, I'm going to pick you up and toss you in.

Hesitantly turning around, Emma gave me a look that told me she was self conscious, so I shrugged my shoulders apologetically.

- Alright alright, I'll behave. Scout's honor.

I put my left hand on my heart and my right hand in the air to pledge to her, and in return she shot me a deadpan look and used her toe to kick water at me.

- Jake, I know damn good and well you were never a boy scout.

As I chuckled mischievously, she walked over to a table to set her belongings down, muttering -

- Keep that up and you won't ever see me half or fully naked.

- Wanna bet?

She grumbled and turned away from me as I eased into the water. As much as I wanted to watch her unfold herself from the towel, I didn't want to scare her off,  so I turned around and poured myself some homemade lemonade.

After enough time had passed, though, I raised the glass to my lips and took a sip as I turned around. When I saw Emma standing there in the tiny bikini I'd picked out, I just about choked on my drink and fell into an obnoxious fit of coughs.

Holy shit. How the fuck did she look like that? Her legs were long and toned, her small waist accentuated the curves between her hips and boobs - both of which had grown beyond teenager proportions and into a more womanly figure. It was a fucking miracle I was already in the water, because She was most certainly NOT prepared to see the effect she had on me.

- Are you alright?

I cleared my throat as she eased into the hot tub and clenched my teeth hard when I noticed the buoyant way her boobs dipped in the water.

- Honestly?

My eyes raked over her body again, this time slowly enough so that she could see what had me so flustered. When my eyes lifted to meet hers again, I noticed a glint of something new flash in her eyes before she splashed me with water.

- Jake, don't go there.

I put both my palms up in surrender -

- I'm just saying... I'm gonna need a fucking ice bath after this.

Throwing her head back, she let out a hearty laugh as if she had no idea how serious I was.

- Jake...