Chapter 7

Emma's POV

I can't believe what Noah told me; I honestly didn't know whether to trust him or not. He had no reason to fabricate all of this. He did, in fact, save me from that horrible pit. I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt. It's hard for me to accept my own father was a criminal. All those people were outraged by my family's death and blamed it on me, although it came to be that my father was the cause of their death. All of the pain that others inflicted on me could have been—prevented if my fath—James, hadn't been a criminal. Everything I had ever known was a lie, based on love, caring, and evading the police.

    That night, I spent absorbing what Noah had told me. I was immobilized, unable to move from the bed he had placed me on.

    He never left my side as I sulked in bed for several hours. He put his arm over my shoulder, his hand on my waist as I rested my head on his chest, counting each beat of his heart. It was pleasant, soothing, and calming.

    I had fallen asleep on Noah's chest by the time I accepted what he had told me. He had softly shifted me away from him and around a soft pillow. My demons almost—almost—disappeared as I came to understand the truth.