Chapter 23

Emma's POV

He stood slowly, carefully placing my head on the pillow, massaging his eyes as he walked straight into the bathroom, but not before returning his gaze to me; I couldn't see much with my limited vision, but dare I say, he smirked.

  I quickly realized that he was undoubtedly aware that I wasn't sleeping. The heat in my cheeks rose, proving that I was indeed not asleep, just to clear any doubts he might have had. Embarrassed, I turn over on my stomach, putting my face against the pillow, pleading for forgiveness.

   As I get out of bed, I take a few deep breaths and shake off my nerves. I look at the time and realize it wouldn't be long till Noah got out of the shower. I start rummaging through the seemingly unending supply of shopping bags and suitcases. I go with one of my new favorite dresses. It was the same one with the elastic material that I tried in the store, but it was covered in sunflowers instead of bees.

   "You can hang all your clothing in the walking closet," Noah suggested as I was picking out a few accessories.

   I step back, gasping.

   "I had a maid clear out the space and bought a new vanity for everything else."

  I take another step back, my hand on my heart. "You scared the living daylights out of me." I sat back down on the bed. 

   "Sorry," he replies with a smirk.

   I paused for a split second as my mind processed what was in front of me. It was a carved god who was half-naked. I shake my head to remind myself not to look creepily. I hurriedly mutter the first thing that comes to mind. "I didn't peg you as a man who enjoyed scaring ladies when picking accessories."

   "I typically don't," he responds in his ever-lovingly straightforward tone.

   I could sense he wanted to say something but was torn. Ultimately I decide it wasn't worth it to press him on it, so I moved on. "Anyway, you didn't have to do that."

"Of course I did. I can't have you rummaging through bags every time you want something. Especially because you're staying with me for a long time, and that's just an inconvenience." He turned his back to me, grabbing his clothes. "The clothes, I mean, not you," he clarified.

   "I'm not rummaging. I've got a full system," I grumble.

   "Of course you do," he said with a chuckle, "but I'd rather see your clothes next to mine."

  Darn him. One sentence and he got me flushed and flustered. I need to start building up some immunity to his soft spoken manner. My face is constantly flushed, and I'm beginning to think that my complexion will never turn back to normal. I can't believe how quickly he got under my skin. It makes me feel emotions I'd never thought I'd feel again and some I've never felt before. I haven't decided if I want to run away and hide or stick long enough to see where it leads yet.

   I sprint towards the restroom, pushing past Noah's frame, my face flushes an even darker shade of red than it was point two seconds ago. I exhale a breath I hadn't realized I'd been holding in.

   As I turned on the water, I realized I had left all of my undergarments in the room. I let out a curse or two knowing that I'd either have to go without or go back out and face his wrath. He most likely is sitting somewhere in the room and wasn't planning on leaving anytime soon.

   I grumbled as I began heading towards the door in my big girl pants which was a towel in reality; however, there was a knock on the door before I could open it. When I opened the door, Noah was clutching something white in his hands.