real life

Eleanor felt her phone vibrate in her hand. She saw her screen, a photo of Richard and her appearing with his name above it. She sighed, having the urge to not pick up but she prepared herself for the awkward call. Her finger pressed on the screen and she brought the phone to her ear, "Hello." From the other side of the phone, Richard was relieved that she had answered. He knew what he wanted to say, but now, he was at loss for words. "Uh, hey, Eleanor." Richard wanted to slap himself for stuttering. He felt like a schoolboy, dialling his crush to help with his homework as an excuse to chat. "Richard, look, whatever it is you want to talk about, can it be quick? I need to put Miles down for a nap."
Richard snapped back to his normal self, "Yeah. Of course, love." He then fell silent. His mind was coming up with different ways to begin what he wanted to say, but he couldn't settle on a decision.

Eleanor sighed from her end. She felt that he was wasting her time. Miles was diverting beside her and she knew she had to put him down for nap soon or he would be restless and tired later on. "Richard, I think you need to call me another time when you actually have something to say. I need to pu-"
"No, no, please. I'll talk. I'm sorry." He let out a deep breath, his mind deciding to just go with the flow. "I miss you, Eleanor."
"Richard, don't do this."
"Eleanor, please? Look, after we separated I went and stayed with Lily. We hooked up, I'll admit it, but I regret it, okay? Yes, you can be angry with me all you want but just know that I love you, Eleanor. Forever and always."

Eleanor was silent. In that moment she felt many emotions, she didn't know how to comprehend what he admitted. "You think that explaining that will make me instantly yours again? Richard, you're wrong. Also, while we're in the topic of separation anxiety, I did hook up with Joel as well. Like you, I instantly regret it. Unfortunately, from here, it's not going to change anything. We did what we did. We broke our trust to each other."
"You hooked up with Joel?"
"Yes, Richard, I did. It was a drunken night and things happened that I regret." Richard couldn't believe what he heard. While he was in the wrong, he didn't expect her to do the same. "So, things are going to be different now?"
"Things have always been different, Richard. From the moment we separated, things changed. Now we've done shit we regret but that's not going to resolve anything now that we've come clean to each other."
"I understand that."
"All we can do from now is focus on Miles. He needs his parents and that's all that matters right now."

Richard felt a few tears brim his eyes. He knew Eleanor was right, but he couldn't help but know things wouldn't be resolved anytime soon. He hoped to somehow find his way back to her, like they did before, but many things now stood in their way. "You're right."
"Look, I'm willingly to compromise with you. We do leave for press tour in about a month and a half, so in that time before we leave, we can catch up. Obviously keep the same arrangements with Miles, unless things come up and changes are to be made."
"Of course."
"The only reason I'm doing this is because of Miles. He needs us right now and we need to be there for him. Can you promise me that?"
"I promise."
"Alright we'll I'm going to go and tend to Miles. Have a good night Richard."
"You too."

The two both hung up, each sighing after the nerves and confrontation of the phone call. Eleanor turned her attention to Miles, sending the big a smile before picking him up and walking to his room. At Lily's place, Richard placed his head in his hands, rubbing it with frustration before he stood up. He walked towards the fridge, grabbing a cold beer and walked to the window. The sun had started to set, the sky turning into a mix of orange and pinks. The moon had started to slightly glow. His mind wondered to Eleanor. He had desperation to fix this, fix them, but he knew things would take time and all he had to do was be a father to his son. He intended to hold onto his promise to Eleanor, for both their sake and for their son's.