Chapter One

It was only six in the evening when Yūrei Kokoro and the rest of the General Studies students were allowed to go home. A few hours earlier, the USJ had been attacked by a whole assortment of villains. Nobody knew how they managed to break through UA's sturdy defense, but rumors were going around about someone from the inside giving out information. In other words, a traitor.

Kokoro sighed as she was pushed around by the crowd of students eager to go home. She looked over the countless heads of tired and grumpy teenagers, looking for a familiar short-haired girl. She finally spotted her friend, near the gates of the school, seemingly ready to plop down right then and there. Grinning silently, Kokoro pushed her way through the remaining students and came to a stop in front of her friend.

Bringing her arm up she flicked the short-haired girl in the middle of her forehead, earning a startled gasp from her.
"Morning Kiaria." Kokoro smiled down at her friend.
The said girl groaned softly before punching her friend in the arm.
"Fuck off Ko," she grumbled as she began walking.

Kokoro snorted as Kiaria blinked sleepily at her.
It was the side effect of her quirk. Kiaria had quite an interesting quirk that allowed her to actually see those who have passed on. In other words, spirits.  She could channel their energy and combine it with her own to boost her physical capabilities. However, having such a quirk was rather traumatizing as a child, considering the fact that spirits would retain the same state as at the time of their death. Spirits always flocked her, since she was the only one who could actually see and help them. Being a kind-hearted person, Kiaria would go out of her way to help those who approached her. As a result, she was well-liked by most spirits. A few of them hung around her calling themselves the 'Kiaria Protection Squad'. It took a while for them to warm up to Kokoro, but they eventually approved of her once she started greeting them every time she met Kiaria. 

Kokoro and Kiaria had both met at the start of middle school. Both the girls bonded over how weird their quirks were (according to society, that is). While Kiaria's quirk focused on the power of spirits, Kokoro's quirk focused on her own body. In other words, shapeshifting. After studying a subject well, she could change and twist her features into them and even adapt their voices. As she changed, she would disappear in dark swirls, only to immerge as the shapeshifted subject. As a result of her quirk, she prides herself on being extremely observant of other people and their habits. 

As interesting as their quirks were, they weren't useful when it came to robots. Kiaria had fared much better than Kokoro, however, it wasn't enough. It was only after the exam had ended did they realize that they could've controlled other participants and used their quirks to pass.

"Did your teacher tell you about the UA festival?"Kiaria asked aimlessly kicking small stones as they waited for the light to turn green for them to cross the road.
" Yeah, apparently we still have a chance to get into the Hero Course, "Kokoro answered before turning to the shorter girl, "Speaking of the Hero Course, I wonder if they're alright."

"Hmm? Oh yeah the USJ thing. Sheesh, a villain attack in the first week itself? Sucks."
The taller girl hummed in agreement as they crossed the street, "I wonder how those villains knew there would be a class there when they attacked."

"They probably had someone from the inside. Maybe a student or a staff member?", Kiaria thought out loud.

Kokoro nodded before stopping suddenly. Kiaria stopped a few steps ahead, after realizing her friend wasn't following her.
" What's wrong?", she asked.
Kokoro looked at her, eyes wide. The short-haired girl, now feeling anxious, looked at her friend worriedly.
"You okay Ko?", she watched her white-haired friend walk up to her, tears forming in her eyes, as she grabbed her arms.