19- Execution Turned To Flames (Edited)

It was the night of Del's execution, the rain thundered onto the ground, the lightning struck angrily and the thunder shook the ground. Roxanna had taken her seat on the front row, exactly where she had sat for Arlen's execution. Her notebook and pen were in her hands but they were not open and she knew that she wasn't going to use them. Next to her was the mother and father of the young girl Del had raped and murdered and behind her were the family members of one the people who had died in the fire that Del had started to try and cover up his crime. Roxanna ignored the mumbles of the people around her and stared at the door waiting for Del who was guided into the room but paused when he saw that Percy was upfront for his execution. Roxanna willed Del to look at her and for some miracle he did and Roxanna sent him a small smile and nod of reassurance. Roxanna clasped her hands tighter and willed her strength into Del, she prayed to God for him to take all of her strength and give it to Del, he needed it more than her. 

Roxanna didn't pay attention to anything other than Del as she felt a sinking feeling running through her veins, something was going to happen. Thunder snapped loudly and the lights got brighter for a moment, Roxanna didn't listen to Percy but listened to Del's last words, "I'm sorry for what I done," Roxanna could tell that he was trying to hold back tears and so was she, "I'm sorry for what I do, I would take it back if I could... God have mercy on me... don't forget about mouseville." 

Roxanna lowered her eyes to her notebook but her head snapped up when Percy spoke, "There's no such place" Her eyes widened as anger and sadness rushed through her veins and Del began to cry and the hood was placed on his head. 

Roxanna shook her head and spoke up so Del could hear, "I'll look after him Del." She didn't want Percy's words to be the last words he heard. Del's cries stopped momentarily as he had heard Roxanna speak. Roxanna was so focused on Del that she didn't realise that the sponge had not been soaked and no one else had. Thunder clapped and lightning struck, Roxanna placed a hand over her heart as time ticked away. It took seconds for Paul and Brutal to realise that the sponge was dry, Paul walked across the room but was stopped by Brutal who whispered to him that he couldn't stop the execution.

The People all jumped up from their seats as flames began to rise from the chair, Del's body twisted and turned and his screams of pain filled the air. The black hood erupted in fire and Roxanna jumped up from her chair, the smell of burnt flesh filled the air and caused everyone to run for the doors. Roxanna took gentle steps forward so she stood next to Brutal and Paul, the warden joining them and shouted, "Why don't you shut it down?" 

Paul turned to the man and shouted back, "he's still alive, you want me to shut it down while he's still alive." Paul saw Percy turn away with his hand over his mouth and marched over to him, he turned him around and forced him to watch what he had done. 

Brutal placed his hand on Roxanna's back and bent down to whisper in her ear, "Turn around, you don't have to watch." 

Behind them, the warden tried to calm the people down but Roxanna didn't care, she leaned slightly into Brutal and answered in a gentle voice, " I know I don't have to but I promised." Brutal looked down at the girl and wrapped his arms around her in a comforting hug as she leaned more into him but both of them were still watching the man in the chair. They watched as his head lulled forward and they knew he was dead, the electricity was cut off and the fire extinguisher was handed to Percy who was pushed forward, Brutal stayed with Roxanna in his arms and watched as Percy put out the fire with a grimace on his face.