Ch. 5 - Gone

"I HEARD ABOUT YOUR LITTLE STUNT with Noah," Sam said with an amused tone

"I HEARD ABOUT YOUR LITTLE STUNT with Noah," Sam said with an amused tone. We were walking to the parking lot after school ended.

I shrugged, causally,"He deserved it."

Sam laughed with a shake of his head,"You sure you don't want to come to the match? It will be fun."

I unlocked my car, throwing my bag in the passenger seat. I turned around to find Sam right behind me with a pouty lip and puppy eyes. He looked like a little kid right now.

I shook my head,"No, no, no. Don't do this to me. I'm already going to the party tonight, and plus I need to go see my Mom."

At the mention of my mother, Sam nodded, completely understanding. He knew that when I go see my Mom, it's very important to me.

"Alright, well I'll see you at nine, okay?" Sam asked, making me nod as I got into my seat.

"Good luck with the match. You'll do great as always."

Sam smiled before walking off towards the boxing building. I started my engine, and I drove out of the parking lot. Music was playing softly in the background, but my mind was racing.

I go see my Mom a lot especially since I started driving. I tell her about everything even though she can't respond. Almost every time I visit, I end up crying because I just miss her so much.

I don't know how people do this. It feels like everybody else comes to terms with loosing their parent, but I feel like I'm drowning in grief. How do people go forward with their lives knowing their mom or dad isn't alive?

I stopped by the local flower shop, and I got my Mom's favorite flower which are sunflowers before making my way to the graveyard. Once I parked my Jeep, I took a deep breath, mustering all the strength I had, and I stepped out with the sunflowers in my hand.

As I walked to my mother's grave, I noticed nobody else was here so that gave me a peace of mind. I don't like people watching me while I talk to my Mom. It just makes me feel exposed. I finally reached her grave, and it looked the same as it did every time I came to visit.

LISA CADE
beloved mother, wife, friend, & daughter

"Hey, Mom," I said with a crack in my voice. I sat on the ground, crossing my legs.

"I brought you your favorites," I told her, placing the flowers in front of her headstone. "I hope you like them. You are never going to believe what happened this week."