Chapter 38: Alison

Alison's heart thudded fast and irregular as Harker leaned toward her. He was going to kiss her. Harker. Now. A kiss. She'd never realized how big and how male he was. His lips were firm but full, his face narrow–the hint of his beard beginning to show on his cheeks. His breath tickled her lips. The scent was a mix between smoky bourbon and mint from his toothpaste. Her body drifted toward him, her eyes closing. She wanted to taste that smell.

"I promise. I'll never hurt you. I'll only show you pleasure beyond anything you've ever imagined." He shifted, whispering in her ear. "Come. Before we miss the show."

Her eyes opened as he stepped away from her, taking her hand in his and leading her across the room. He hadn't kissed her. He'd been going to. Why had he stopped? Was her breath bad? She'd brushed her teeth right before they'd left the house. She'd check by cupping her hand over her mouth, but he had one hand and her other held her glass. She downed her drink and sidestepped to place it on a nearby table.

"What are you do...You finished your drink already?" He wasn't pleased.

"Ah...yeah. I was thirsty."

"You aren't getting another one for a while. I don't want you shitfaced again."

"Don't worry. I don't want another one." She frowned at him. "But if I did, I'd get one."

"No. You wouldn't." His hand tightened on hers as he pulled her into the crowd that'd gathered to watch Anthony. He stopped, stepping behind her. "Can you see the stage from here?"

"Yeah." She'd argue about the drink, but she didn't want one and she didn't want to miss the show.

The man Harker had called Anthony walked around a petite, skinny woman with breasts that had to be fake because they were huge, and she was so tiny.

"How does she even stay upright with those things?"

"What?" Harker leaned closer, his lips by her ear. "I didn't hear you."

"Nothing." She grimaced. She hadn't meant to say that out loud. The woman on stage had black hair and pale features. She was very pretty, but a guy who looked like Anthony wouldn't be with someone ugly. Nothing was happening. Anthony just walked around the woman. She glanced behind her at Harker. "What's he doing?"

"He's making her wait." He stared at the stage. "Making her understand that he's the boss. He'll give her a command in a minute or two. As soon as he's ready."

Ellie was right. Harker was a good-looking guy–harsh features that made him seem unapproachable, strong and so sexy. She'd known this. She'd just forgotten, or she'd pushed it out of her mind because a man like him would never want a plain woman like her...except he did. It was only for her genes, but her body would get to participate if he could muster up enough desire to do the deed. Was that why he hadn't kissed her? She cupped her hand over her mouth, breathed out and sniffed. Her breath was fine. That meant it was the rest...

"What are you doing?" He stared down at her.

"Nothing." Her cheeks heated as she quickly looked back at the stage and her mouth dropped open.

Anthony stood in front of the woman as she unbuttoned her shirt. Alison wasn't into women, but she couldn't look away as the woman on stage stripped. She seemed oblivious to everyone but Anthony. It was as if no one else in the world mattered or even existed. The man held out his hand and the woman gave him her shirt. He folded it and placed it neatly on a chair on the stage. The woman started to undo her skirt, but Anthony said something before glancing into the crowd. Alison's breath caught. She swore he stared right at her. She stumbled backward, bumping into Harker's strong frame. His hands, large and hot, captured her hips, steadying her.

The woman handed Anthony her bra and he placed that on the chair too.

"Why is he putting her clothes on that chair?" In her experience clothes were tossed aside to be gathered later.

"He's taking care of her." Harker leaned down, his words a hot whisper in her ear. "She belongs to him. Her comfort, her pleasure is his responsibility"—his fingers danced along her cheek, pushing her hair aside—"to give or to withhold."

She shivered as his lips teased her ear and she turned toward him, her heart racing when he captured her chin. He was finally going to kiss her. She'd never wanted anything as much as this. His breath teased across her lips. His mouth was so close that if she stood on tiptoes their lips would touch.

"Watch the stage." Heturned her face away from his and she almost screamed in frustration.