-•ship names•-

listen, i didn't know people don't know this but

in most of fandom history, when naming the ship/pairing, and listen closely:
the top's name goes first

yeah, i know, weird right? so how'd we get here? why do we do this?

nowadays, people just kinda choose whatever sounds best, which makes sense when you'd end up having some kind of ugly ship name, but, i do actually use this system, and here's why.

no fucking clue to be honest with you mate but i wish more people did

i mean, this doesn't only apply to ship names as in combinations of the two characters names (eg. dreamnotfound, kiribaku, phan, fucking other ones idfk), it actually is mainly based on the format of putting ship names like this:
Dream x GeorgeNotFound as you'd see on ao3, i guess
(i know most of you are here from mcyt or less likely, bnha, and dnf has spread like cancer so it's not like people don't know what it is either way, so i'll probably just end up using that as the example ship)

anyways, you may notice i use it with combo names as well, at least when it comes to smut, or i'd say "dreamnotfound, technically gream" if it's a combo name i'm not a fan of (usually because it's ugly)

in non-smut works, sometimes i may incorporate this, but most likely i'll just say fuck it and do whatever i want with it, because if you're not writing for others, well, i guess you wouldn't be here but do whatever you want with it.

i guess i like it because it allows me to quickly distinguish and indicate what the dynamic i'm going to be portraying or reading in smut. some people may not like top or bottom George, and some may not like top or bottom Dream.

of course, there's the issue of having a subtop or dombottom as well in which case i usually just say fuck it, top still comes first. if there is a switch amoungus however, they are an imposter, and must be thrown into the vaccumn of space immediately.
...that was my draft to write more here, but i feel like embarrassing myself for a laugh today, so it's staying. no more paragraph here, this is all you get.

the only thing that makes me uncomfy with it is the fact it probably comes from sexism in typical hetero relationships and saying the man's name first because, you know, sexism and the man "has to be the top", but fuck that i'm just here to better organize my fanfiction reading. that's just a guess anyways, fuck the system, this is for open minded fandom enjoyers now. sometimes you gotta realize, "you know what, the dirt this flower grew in was probably at one point or another literal feces or dead animal carcass or something, but now it's only dirt for this lovely flower that i'm so very glad exists"

related fun fact of teh day: matter is never destroyed, only changed. it is physically impossible for it to be destroyed according to laws of physics. you breathe the same air as the dinosaurs did. the water you drink the same water. in fact, the nutrients that were used to grow the cotton of your furniture or clothes or whatever may once have been part of an anchor that sunk into the bottom of the ocean and decayed, and before that a rock, and before that the scale of a fish or something. maybe it came all the way back from a space rock, eons before earth was even formed.
many of the same rules that apply to physics apply to our bodies and minds, too. just food for thought :)

obviously, do whatever you want. at the end of the day, there's no strict format when you're writing for fun.
writing is an art, remember that. art doesn't have to follow mla format if it doesn't fit that. shove cheese all over the canvas if that's what most fruitfully expresses what you're trying to get across. but when writing in a format for others to see such as this, that's when these things become useful. more on that in a future writing for others to see/formatting/basic writing tips idfk chapter, where i hopefully will not get as off track as ironically exampled here, and tell you not to do half the other stuff i do too.
thank :)