Chapter 4: Sharing The Past

"LET GO OF ME YOU LITTLE CREEP!!" I yelled out as I felt my body being lifted up out of my warm bed while I was still attached to my comforters.

"Shut up." Matthew demanded me.

I had no choice but to wait till he let me down. From the little cracks that I could see through the sheets, it still looked like it was dark outside, it looked like it was the middle of the night.

We entered a room and he locked the door behind us as he put me down on the floor.

"What the hell Matthew! Why am I here?" I being to raise my voice again, as I started to unravel myself from the covers.

"What happened back there?" He began to question me.

"I was sleeping until you woke me up. What does it look like happened? What time is it?"

"You know what I mean Alyssa. And it's 3:17 a.m." He said to me as he checked his bright ass phone.

"Can you dim that crap down?"

"What happened back there?" He asked again but now started to get impatient.

"Don't worry about it." I said as I picked up my covers and started walking towards the door.

I felt a strong pull on my arms and I spun around facing him.

"Why do you care so much it's not that serious. You don't have to worry about me."

"When I see someone crying their eyes out while they're running out the store, I think I should be at least a little worried on why."

"Whatever her face is asked about my dad. That's what happened. Can I leave now?"

"No."

"Oh my gosh."

"Now I'm asking you about your dad, how bout that."

"Matthew stop, don't you dare!" I demanded him while my eyes started to gloss up and I felt a tear drop from my eye.

"I'll tell you what happened to Madison, if you tell me what happened to you dad." His voice got lower.

I wanted to know what happened to her so badly. I took my comforters and moved to the farthest corner of the room. I wrapped it around my body and sat down Indian style.

"My mom left us on our first birthday. We never heard or seen from her since then. Last year, Madison was diagnosed with throat cancer. She didn't have long to live so she made the best of it. She told dad that she didn't want to spend the last moments that she had in a hospital so she asked to get checked out. Madison was a happy 17 year old girl who was suppose to have a long life ahead of her. She wanted to go to prom so badly but didn't get a chance to because she was stuck in the hospital. So dad and I decided to give Maddy her own prom. We invited all the seniors from school and gave her what she wanted. That's what the picture was about. On Friday the 13th of January, Madison came home and cried her eyes out to me. Telling me how much she--" Matthew paused and I could tell he was crying.

I got up from my spot and went over and sat down next to him. I didn't care what anybody thinks of the part that's coming up, but I took his hand and intertwined it with mine, I laid my head on his shoulder and I he started speaking again.

"She told me how much she loved me and missed me. She told me that she would be my guardian angel, always watching over me and protecting me. She told dad that she loved him too. We all went into her room and laid in her bed. At 5:13 p.m. I heard Madison take her last breath." As Matthew finished speaking I felt tears run down my cheeks.

I removed my hands from his and wiped my face and went back to holding his hands.

"So I guess it's my turn huh?"

"That's if you want to." I heard his voice crack.

Matthew's POV

"I was about 10 years old. My mom and dad were "the power couples" some loved them together but some hated them together. People even tried to break them up by spreading rumors about my dad cheating on my mom but they still kept it together." She took a long sigh before she got deeper into her past.

"My dad and I were having, "Tony and Alyssa Friday" that's where we did EVERYTHING together. Started from 8 in the morning and ended at 12 at night. At the time I was home schooled and my mother was my teacher, and she worked as a therapist on Friday's so she didn't really care what time we came home. My dad was my best friend. He wasn't like them other "hood father's"."

At this point Alyssa had tears streaming down her eyes, she was reminding herself of all the good times she had with her father. I could tell she didn't want to remember because it hurt her so much.

"It was like every other Friday but this time I felt has if something bad was going to happen that day. I told my dad that I just wanted to stay home and told him that I had a bad feeling about that day. He told me that it was my birthday and I should go out and enjoy myself. I begged and pleaded for us to stay inside. My dad told me that the only way that we'll stay inside is if we go get ice cream and chinese food and grab a few movies, so I agreed to this deal. We picked up the movies and the food and we were on our way to go get the ice cream he told me to wait in the car and he'll be right back. I took his phone and I started to play Temple Run and listen to music. I listened to my favorite song, Dance With My Father. I seen my dad come out the store with my Rocky Road Ice Cream, his Vanilla Ice Cream with Spinkles on top and an Ice Cream Cake with my name on it. I started laughing as he did his little dance to the car. Then suddenly he stopped. I seen two guys walk up to him and one of the guys had their hands in their pockets. They started talking and my dad pointed to me in the car, the dude turned to me waved and mouthed the words " happy birthday" to me. I thought he was a friend of my dad's so I waved back and said thank you, not knowing that five seconds later he would shoot my father in the chest and run away. I ran outside with his phone and called 911 as I held his head, putting it on my lap. I told him I loved him and how sorry I was. He told me that it wasn't my fault, that I should always be strong and protect mom, and he'll always be there for me. Our last words were:

Daddy I'll love you always and forever more.

And Alyssa I'll love you forever more and always."

After she finished her story we stayed in the same spot, in total silence, in the dark for 10 minutes.

We both had difficult times. I thought that I would hate Alyssa and I'll just be one of them dick head brothers, but now I realized that it's my job to protect her. I'll make sure that nothing happens to her. Even if I get hurt in the process. And that's a promise.

She laid her head on my shoulder and dozed off. I figured that mom and dad was already up and would think something if they seen me carrying my soon to be sister out of my room so I did what anybody would do. I picked her up and she was as light as a feather, and placed her on my bed and I slept on the floor. I couldn't stop thinking about Madison and I definently couldn't stop thinking of Alyssa.