Two Lovers

The sea had two lovers - the moon and the sun.

The sea loved them both.

The sun bathed the sea in gilded streaks of light. The sea glowed in the attention. Bashful, and yet so warm it was in the sun's embrace. Golden shimmers danced across its shy cheeks when the sun smothered it in mellow songs of admiration.

It glimmered like the shells that peeked from beneath the sand. It glimmered like the eyes of children feeling the water creep between their toes for the first time.

The sunshine never quite shone far enough into its darkened depths. It never quite illuminated the deep trenches of its soul. But still, the sea loved the sun.

The sea shifted uneasily as the sun began to whisper heated promises into its ear. The sky was painted muted colors of sunset, creeping down into a gradient of lingering hues. The sun promised to be back the next day, but not without a final kiss of amber and an airy goodbye of  byzantium.

Beyond the horizon, the moon made its presence known. Softly, it blanketed the sea in a sheath of moonlight. The sea swayed to its cool whispers of twilight. The moon was a quiet lover, uttering sweet nothings into the sea's depths.

The tides grasped on the edge of the shore as feathery breaths blew against its skin. The moon's yearning drew the sea higher and higher to it, trying to touch the cratered face of a love it could not reach.

The sun wondered why the sea did not reach for it.

But perhaps, it was content not knowing. The sun relished in the ignorant bliss of touching the sea with its summery affections. It reveled in seeing its reflection in the sea's lovestruck eyes.

The moon smirked, albeit with a bitterness left unseen. No one knew the pure ecstasy of the sea's whiney breaths of yearning. No one knew just how desperate the sea could get for its touch.

And yet, the moon still felt like it was nothing more than dull, sublunary pleasure to the sea. The moon could do no futher than murmer sultery suggestions to the languid rocking of the tides. The boats upon its surface bobbed to the rhythm. But still, the sea loved the moon.

The sea had two lovers: the sun and the moon.

The sea loved them both, but for different wantings of the soul and flesh.