27

Sofia

~ the more i push you away, the more i feel a pull to you ~

-- Flashback --

November of sophomore year.

Here I am, sitting under a tree behind the school, crying over my fucking geography test. I failed it. A big fat 61 percent is marked in red ink on the top of my page. I know it's just a test, but my grade will plummet from this. I'm more worried about what my parents will say. I just want to impress them for once, I want to be the one that makes them proud instead of Luke. 

As I bury my face into my hands, I hear the doors yank open. I look up, my arms still wrapped around my knees, and I see Coal. I let out a sigh of relief, something I didn't realize I was holding in. 

"Hey," Coal says softly, plopping down next to me. 

"Hi." I mumble, trying to make it the least bit obvious that I've been crying. Correction, am still crying. 

I feel Coal's warm hand make contact with the thin material of my shirt. I relax my contracted muscles to the feel of his touch. He slowly rubs circles with his hand on my back. 

"You wanna talk about it?" He asks gently. 

"I failed my geography test." I roll my eyes at how stupid I probably sound. 

Coal chuckles lowly, "If anyone would be upset over failing one test, it would be you."

"Hey! I have my reasons." I defend myself.

I look haven't looked up from my arms, I don't want him to see my red and puffy eyes, but that doesn't last long when I sniffle a little too loud.

"Are you crying?"

"No." 

"Yes you are." Coal responds intently. 

"No I'm not." I retort back. 

"Then look at me." I shake my head. Coal then grabs my arms and pulls them away from my knees. 

He tilts my chin up to look at him. His eyes soften at the sight of my damp cheeks. He doesn't even hesitate before wrapping his arms around me. 

"Soph, it's just a test." Coal says deeply into my ear. 

"It's not just about the test." 

Coal pulls away to scan my face, waiting for me to explain. 

"I just want my parents to be proud of me." I sniffle, shaking me head in embarrassment. 

"I'm sorry for burdening you with my problems, I mean your Luke's best friend, I probably shouldn't by spitting everything out to you," Coal cut me off. 

"Sofia, your also my best friend, not just Luke." He smiles sweetly at me. 

He is? Oh, he is.

"Thank you." I smile back at him. He nods before standing up. I look at him up and down. Ugh, why does my best friend have to be so pretty.

"You think I'm pretty?" Coal smirks at me. 

Oh my god, did I just say that out loud?

"Yes, yes you did."

Fucking hell.

I shrug, trying to hide my flaming cheeks. 

Coal reaches his hand out to help me up and I gladly take it.