Chapter 20 Well Fuck

Oliver's back ached as he moved and walked around for the rest of the day. Melody seemed to try and avoid him as best as she could, too. He had begun to regret even going to the race. It would have saved him the awkward phone call to his teammates, cancelling on them at the last minute.

After he had loaded everything and his horse into the trailer, he sighed and climbed into the drivers seat of the truck. Melody climbed in next to him and Karen got in the back. Melody had her headphones in, listening to music that was too loud and Oliver recognised it as some of the same songs he listened to when they were upset with each other. (Since they had met she had picked up small habits from him and actually managed to make better use of them than he did.) He tugged at one of the earbuds and she glared at him, "What?"

He rolled his eyes and sighed, "What has you all worked up?"

"Nothing." She tried to put the earbud back in, but he tugged at it again and it fell out.

"No, tell me."

"I told you, it's nothing." Melody shrugged.

Oliver sighed again, "Fine."

~

After an hour of driving, Oliver had his head propped up on his hand against the door and Melody was staring out the window. She had turned her music off and taken out her earbuds, but still refused to talk to him. She reached over and turned on the radio, causing Oliver to raise his head and steal a glance at her.

"What?" She asked.

"Nothing, I'm just interested in why you turned off your music to listen to the radio."

"My phone only has half its battery left and my sister is alone in my house. I need my battery life."

Oliver smiled and laughed under his breath, "ok then." Really all he was interested in was if she would actually sing along to the songs. she had never sang around him, or let him hear her sing period. She seemed really embarrassed about it, but she was always the lead in the school plays, so she had to be at least somewhat good, right?

"I know what you're smirking about over there, and no I'm not going to sing."

"Why? From what I hear you are pretty amazing at it." he hadn't realised he had been smirking.

"Because I am awful the only reason that I get the lead is because people laugh at me."

"Well, you've heard me sing and you know I suck at it, so I can't say anything." Oliver smiled and look at her with pleading eyes.

Melody groaned and immediately knew she would regret her decision, "Fine, but only one song...I'm so going to regret this." she thought about what he said for a few seconds, "Wait, you really aren't a bad singer, you have a really nice voice. You just need to sing out, you're scared of your own voice."

Once the next song came on, Oliver's eyes widened slightly, her voice was nothing short of amazing. it was a slow, soft song so it was easy to hear her seeing as she seemed to enjoy singing out.

During one of the instrumental parts, she looked over at Oliver, "You know this song, right?"

"Yeah, why?"

"Sing it with me! Come on, it's so much better with two people." She pleaded.

"Fine." he said with a chuckle.

Karen sat in the back silently admiring how perfect they both seemed to each other. She had never seen any two people look at each other with such admiration.

But, she had been in their situation before--hopelessly in love without knowing what love even was. That was what ended her up with three boys and a divorce. It's better to let them find out for themselves what carelessness can bring.

Karen sat quietly in the back watching as the two sang together and laughed at each other with not a care in the world. Melody was almost in hysterics as Oliver lip-synced to Call Me Maybe.

I guess there isn't anything more hilarious than watching your punk boyfriend sing to Carly Rae Jepsen. Karen thought.

"Oliver," Melody laughed.

"Yes~?" He responded.

"Your gay is showing." she giggled.

Oliver just winked and laughed. Melody turned down the radio and they exchanged admiring glances before Oliver lay his head back against the seat and sighed. Melody looked at him worriedly, "Are you okay?"

"My back just really hurts." He said.

"I'm sorry," she locked their fingers together and kissed the back of his hand, "Do you want me to drive?"

"No, it's just from the race earlier, the way I have to ride kills my back. It'll settle down in a few minutes."

"I bet the scratches on your back don't help, either."

"They really don't."

"Claim what's yours, I guess." Melody shrugged.

They both laughed slightly and Melody gazed out the window, never letting go of Oliver's hand. She rested her elbow on the door and grazed her fingers over lips, smiling to herself.

Everything seemed perfect.