Chapter Thirteen

Josie

I line my lips in crimson, using the vibrant color to feel more powerful than I am. I typically stick to neutral tones, like I want to blend in. Not tonight.

Tonight, I'm a force to be reckoned with. I want to be seen.

I want to be heard.

I step away from the mirror, looking at my bold makeup and perfectly styled hair. The tight black dress hugs me and is significantly shorter than I'd usually wear. 

I look the part I'm trying to play, now if only I can act it.

"Wow, babe. Hot."

"I've missed you styling me all the time. FaceTime isn't the same."

"You know I've got you. You look better in that dress than I do. You ready?"

Nerves twist my stomach, but I ignore them.

"I'm ready."

An hour later Livi pulls up outside Summit. A prestigious club for only the wealthiest in town. I remember coming here as a child and thinking that I never wanted to be like the people inside. Shallow, money-driven and fake.

My parents used to drag me here and I'd spend the day at the pool, or playing in the empty ballroom. When I got the chance, I'd sneak away to the greenhouses and practice my voice techniques inside.

I remember coming here for fancy dinners where I would have to sit in a scratchy, uncomfortable dress for hours. Trey was always at those events with me.

We would play together when we got bored and sneak off to the courtyards.

He was always there. That's why it was easy for me to feel safe with him as I got older and eventually plan a life with him.

Neither his parents or mine are ruling the world, but their influence is well-known. The shares they do have mean a lot to them, and they intend to build them. They will never be in the same league as Bezos, but they want to try.

I can see why both sides want a marriage. The two children bridging together legally an alliance that has been going on for years. Logistically speaking, it's smart. I can see, taking emotion and moral completely out, how marrying Trey is a good decision on paper.

However, moral and emotion cannot be taken out of a person and this is my life. I'm tired of this fucking it up.

"I'm going in."

"Sorry I can't come."

"It's okay. It's better I do it alone."

"I'll be waiting right here if you need me."

The picture on my club ID is from high school where I had a slimmer figure, with less curves, less makeup and darker hair. I think I even had braces when this was taken, though the photo is faded, so it's hard to tell. Oh, and the renewal date was set for three years ago.

I smile as I flash the badge at the guard, and he nods to let me inside. That was easier than I thought. Either he didn't look good enough, or he doesn't care. Both work in my favor.

It's the last Thursday of the month, which means my family and Trey's family should be having their monthly meeting.

Just wait until they see the problem presented today.

Me, in a tight black dress, ready to drag them all down to hell with me.

My heels click against the floor, giving me more power with every step I take.