IV - Crossbow Boarding School

†

I woke up from the sound of my parents arguing. I am sleeping on the backseat of the van beside the window with Myles, who is still sleeping soundly, on my right. I kept my eyes shut pretending to be asleep so I could eavesdrop. I know right? The old typical teenager tradition.

"Are you sure this is a good idea, Rick?" Mom asks. "I can't stand it that you make all the desicions for my children."

"Of course it is, Adelaide. Stanton is not a safe place anymore. We can't risk her life there. Our children's life." Dad replied. Risk me and Myles' life? From who?

"I am so terrified. I just wa-", someone cuts mom from talking. I slightly opened my eyes to see who and saw her looking at me. Also dad. "Eavesdropping your parents' conversation is a rude thing, Nina." Mom remarked.

"Are you guys fighting?" I asked.

"No." They both answered together.

"Really? What are you talking about then?" I quizzed. Mom's face is expressed that she and dad are hiding something.

"Nina, it's none of your business." Dad snapped. "Be a good daughter for once."

"I am-"

"Nina, honey, please. Stop." Mom insisted quietly. I never asked again. I just sat in the backseat quietly for a couple of hours. I noticed that there are no buildings on the surroundings like I never imagined Maryland would be. It was just a wide set of fields with tall grass, foggy mountains, and Victorian styled houses that is one kilometer apart of each other. The sky suddenly dimmed as the thunders showed it's skills. Great. It's going to rain.

Dad drove into a flat zigzag trail surrounded with high pine trees. What is this place? It lead us into a tall black gothic gates. Gates to Hell. I thought to myself. I nudged Myles to tell him we're here. He rubbed his eyes and wore his glasses. "Please tell me this ain't it." He said, staring wide-eyed.

"It is." I told him. The rain began to pour so hard we can hear it drop from the roof of our van. "Why aren't the gates open?"

Out of nowhere, a creepy man appeared by dad's window. We shrieked. It was foggy outside adding more creepiness. Dad rolled down his windows making me and Myles feel worried. Who is this man by the way?

"Good day! I am Rick Nightingale." Dad greeted. "The Headmistress is expecting us." The creepy man eyed us suspiciously, one by one. I grimaced. He then went back to the gates and opened it for us. The tall gates made a creaking noise. Dad honked to the man as we entered Crossbow. He must be the gatekeeper.

The campus have less fog inside rather on the outside of the gates. The rain did not stop but at least it weakend. Inside, it felt more safe. I can't even explain why. Dad parked the van. "This is it." Mom said as she buckles off her seatbelt. "Make yourselves presentable and neat."

"And why?" I asked.

"We are meeting the Headmistress. I want her to see that the Nightingale children are responsible." She replied. Mom swiped pink lip gloss on her already pinkish lips.

"And polite." Dad added, referring to me.

I looked at my clothes. I am wearing the same clothing that I wore when me and Shaye were at the illegal party in Stanton. Where I am almost stabbed to death by an anonymous drunk guy. Still, it was a puzzling event for me despite of all the insane dreams and hallucinations I had before. "I don't think the Headmistress would of approve of you in that skimpy clothes." Myles pointed out.

I shrugged. "Much better, if that happens."

We got out of the car and ran through the entrance of large wooden doors. My sneakers got wet and so is my hair. I had to tie it into a ponytail. Myles did not struggle at all, he was wearing a hoodie. "You should've parker nearer, Dad." I complained.

"Just cooperate, Nina." He sighed. The atmoshpere smelled of rain, rust and smoke. Crows hovered over the skies as if they are welcoming us. Or warning us.

I gave a look at Crossbow. It is really enormous as a medieval castle in Transylvania with gothic features. There are vines and algae that covered the stone walls. Also, the fog made it look more gothic and eerie. The skies dimmed grey again. I can see Myles feeling nervous from the corner of my eye. I patted his back to assure him that I will be here. Always.

A old, tall, respectable looking lady showed at the doors. We all turned to face her. She raised her head and spoke, "Welcome to Crossbow. We are expecting you."

UNDONE