graceland too

"so we spent what was left of our serotonin
to chew on our cheeks and stare at the moon."
-phoebe bridgers

my entire tl in this book is fucked up, and i simply don't have the energy to fix it i'm sorry •••

•••

soft light from the bedside lamp gently illuminated both prentiss' features. the air seemed to sway in peace, luna trying her hardest to articulate her frustration with the student council races at school.

luna was running for sergeant of arms as a freshman, and it was a lot of work. she had spent the school day hanging papers for her campaign; in all actuality they consisted of poorly edited slogans on colorful paper, really.

it had been a long day. both were thoroughly exhausted, and curled up into the sheets in emily's bed. the soft covers were more than welcoming to the mother, who was currently trying her hardest to understand the politics of her daughter's plight.

gilmore girls reruns were playing softly in the background, and for once everything felt as it should be.

"mama, where'd you get this tattoo?" luna asked, her pointer finger lightly tracing the clover on emily's chest. "it's pretty," the girl whispered, in awe that the tattoo artist was able to do a 'reverse tattoo' in her mind.

"it would take forever to explain how that happened-" emily stated, not pulling away from her daughter. she wasn't scared anymore, but she knew it would certainly scare luna.

typically, she would tend to avoid difficult conversations like this one, but if not now then when?

"but we have all the time in the world, i can even make you some hot cocoa?"

"lu,"

"please mama, i can take it." luna begged, sitting up now, holding her cup of ice water. "i can take it."

god she sounds like me, emily thought, her bottom lip trapping itself beneath her teeth.

"okay," she whispered, sucking in a deep breath. luna cuddled back in close, her head nuzzling into her mother's stomach as she laid down."you cozy? this is gonna be a long one."

"i'm all ready mama," luna said confidently, emily's hands lightly running through her hair.

"when you were very tiny, i spent some time in ireland. i was still at the cia- you couldn't have been older than three- but they sent me away for a good chunk of a year.
i was so not happy about leaving you back then, but i had no choice in the matter."

emily was trying her best to be reassuring. she didn't mean to leave her daughter as frequently as she had made a habit of, but maybe this story would explain it a little bit.

"i left for an undercover operation, posing as an arms dealer to get close with a man- ian. at the time my name was lauren reynolds,"

"why couldn't you just have your normal name?"