it started out with a kiss, how did it end up like this?

"We are a false magic."
-Jessica Perez Dimalibot

the faintest of knocks was laid on the frame of luna prentiss's bedroom door

the faintest of knocks was laid on the frame of luna prentiss's bedroom door. emily had allowed her to paint it about two weeks ago, from the dark cherry wood that once stood in its place. currently, luna had opted to paint her door like the starry night by van gogh, the only rule being that she paint it back to a normal shade before college. the endeavor was only about half way through, but emily had been helping her as much as she could.

god knows she didn't need the door being an eyesore.

there emily stood, hot cocoa and cake pop in hand, determined to make amends for her actions earlier in the day. luna had refused to speak with her upon arrival from penelope's, and emily was at a loss. penelope had stuck around for a bit longer, mainly to make sure that luna would be alright, but emily had to face this on her own.

the aforementioned duo had spent the day in harmony with eachother, albeit the farmer's market got rained out, but it didn't eliminate the ache within luna's chest. emily's words had struck a nerve, and it would take a lot of ass kissing to get back to where they had been last night.

emily could hear jj and penelope chatting away downstairs, and it took all she had within her to focus on the task at hand.

"baby? i have something for you."

"i'm not hungry, i ate with auntie penny before we came home." luna snipped, annoyed by the gall of her mother to just act like everything was okay. "if you don't believe me, she's downstairs and you can ask her yourself."

"okay, but would you still like some hot cocoa?" emily asked, slumped against the door of her daughter's bedroom. small shuffling on the other side signaled that luna was doing the same.

a silence.

it was heavy, and sad, and luna could feel the warmth growing on her cheeks as she struggled to maintain her composure.

"what you said hurt." luna sniffled, dragging her knees to her chest as her head lightly hit the door. the light from the window was slowly waning and engulfing her in darkness, but she didn't have it in her to get up and do something about it.

she was content with her position on the floor, close enough, yet eons apart from the only person that she was sure that she loved. it was a strange, conflicting sort of feeling, but all luna knew was that she was exhausted of doing mental gymnastics.

"i know, and i'm sorry. god, lu, i am so so so sorry. i don't know why i said that." emily sighed, hands weaving through and knotting in  her hair.