A Friend of Mine

MONDAY

She tossed the thin dark purple cardigan on and listened to Maya rant about the inconvenience of their impromptu reunion. Riley giggled as Maya waved off a euphemism about Farkle and Isadora flying in late that evening. Riley grabbed her keys and shuffled Maya towards the front door. Maya groaned and leaned back into Riley's arms purposely making it hard for the bubbly brunette to move her.

"Maya," Riley chastised and the blonde smirked.

"Oh come on Riles, do we really need to go get party supplies? It's just us six!" Maya groaned.

"Maya it's been a year since all six of us were together! Aren't you excited to see our friends?" Riley pouted.

"Yeah, I guess," Maya said and rolled her eyes.

Riley knew it was a front, and that Maya was just as excited as she was. Despite being close the clique six had spread out across the continent for college. Maya and Riley stayed true, and both got into NYU. While Riley went to Steinhardt for English Education, Maya found her calling at Tisch for Collaborative Art. Although in different programs, they became roommates in a cramped two-bedroom, a gift from their parents. Their friendship never wavered and if anything it got stronger over the last few years. As their junior year ended they wanted to celebrate with their best friends. In just mere months they would be college seniors, and then off to more school or careers.

"Farkle got us a suite," Riley teased and Maya grinned.

"A suite? Okay, Minkus, guess that business degree is working after all," Maya mused and stood up straight.

As the girls found their place at NYU, Farkle and Isadora found their place at Stanford University. Although Princeton University was their goal, they both realized the move across the country would do them good. It was no surprise that both of them had done well successfully that they were graduating before their friends. Farkle in the fall will be attending Stanford Graduate School of Business and Isadora will start her Ph.D. program in Neuroscience. Another reason for their motley crew of friends to come together.

"It's more like a graduation gift from his parents," Riley said and led Maya out of their apartment.

"I can't believe those two geniuses are already going to their second degrees, I barely think I am going to make it out of my bachelor's," Maya groaned as Riley locked the door.

The two linked their arms together and Riley giggled.

"Maya you're doing great in school, As and Bs," Riley exclaimed.

"It's only because I am actually interested in school now, why couldn't we just jump to college?" Maya asked as they walked down the stairs.

"That's not how life works," Riley said as they left the apartment building.

Loud city noises blare down the streets and the crowds shuffled through masses of New Yorkers. Both girls leaped into the mass and followed the flow down the street.

"I hope Party City isn't crowded," Maya said as Riley smiled brightly.

A benefit of having an apartment in Union Square was that everything was close by to them. They could pop in, get some supplies and grab lunch all within walking distance.

"I doubt it, no major holidays, just some graduations in a few weeks," Riley said.

"So ... we talked about Smarkle, is there a particular someone you would like to talk about before we see them?" Maya teased.

"Zay? I heard he might double major," Riley shrugged.

"What is he? Can he?" Maya asked as Riley nodded.