You Went Away

WEDNESDAY

When Riley woke up, she rubbed her eyes and groaned as the sun shone brightly into the room. She sat up and realized she was still on the couch. The memories of her kisses with Lucas flooded back and she sat abruptly.

"Whoa there girl," Zay joked and Riley saw Zay on the loveseat eating.

"What time is it?" Riley asked.

"Like nine, what are you doing out here? You're that mad at Maya?" Zay asked

"Uh yeah I guess," Riley said as she adjusted her clothes.

"Come on Sugar, they've been together for years, it was bound to happen," Zay said.

"After we graduate, sure!" Riley said and laid back down.

She wondered if Lucas had gone to sleep in his room. Why didn't he stay out there with her? Was he ashamed they had made out for hours on the couch in the dark? Did he have regrets? Did she?

"Um ..., where is everyone else?" Riley asked.

"Maya is showering, Farkle is working, and Izzy is still sleeping. Time changes and all," Zay said.

He didn't mention Lucas. Should she just ask? She didn't know what Zay would say? Would he tease or answer?

"And Lucas?" Riley asked.

"I think he went for a run. When I woke up he wasn't in the room," Zay said with a shrug.

Riley smiled and realized Lucas hadn't left her alone on the couch. He had just gone out to work out. She laid back down when she heard a door swing open. She looked over to see Maya dressed in fresh clothes and her long blonde hair wet from the shower.

"Hey," Maya said to both of them while looking at Riley.

"Hart," Zay said and got up from the seat.

He winked at Riley before going over to the kitchenette. Maya walked over and sat in his seat while Riley stared at the ceiling. Her lips were still swollen from hours ago, and she could feel her stomach flip.

"Riles, can we talk?" Maya asked.

"Sure," Riley whispered.

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you before but I swear Josh and I were going to talk to you this weekend. Stupid Huckleberry," Maya said as she mumbled the end.

"Don't say that about him!" Riley snapped and Maya backed off.

"Sorry," They said in unison.

"Look, can you forgive me?" Maya asked.

"Yeah," Riley said.

"Can you look at me?" Maya asked.

Riley turned on her side and looked at Maya. Maya's blue eyes were wide and filled with tears. As much as Riley wanted to stay mad, she couldn't. They were best friends. Plus she knew the two were getting serious. She just wasn't ready for all these changes.

"I forgive you Peaches," Riley said and Maya smiled.

"Yay," Maya cheered and Zay laughed.

Both girls turned to him and saw him watching them from the counter with a smile. They all started to laugh when Farkle walked into the room. He was on a call and ended when he saw his friends.

"Good morning Farkle," Riley said and Farkle smiled.

"I hope you two talked things out or it's going to make brunch awkward," Farkle said as Maya rolled her eyes.