Chapter 7: Delicate

I relished the enjoyment of being able to sleep in, knowing that most – if not all – of the rest of the team was out on a mission for at least a few days. Normally, the emptiness of the compound would be a little bit intimidating, but I loved the quiet. There was always so much hustle and bustle around the place that the quiet was a relaxing, comforting change. Not that I didn't miss them, and couldn't wait until everyone was back. I stumbled out of my room, not bothering to change out of my t-shirt and shorts that I slept in and headed towards the kitchen. When I got near the stairs, however, I heard the sound of music coming from somewhere below. I frowned. I didn't think anyone else was here. I followed the sound, growing more curious when I recognized classical music – not the typical rock or oldies that one of the guys usually played. It almost sounded like – it was – Swan Lake. I rounded the corner, almost passing the conference room when I caught movement out of the corner of my eye and stopped in my tracks. Natasha was in the room, music blaring. She was wearing leggings and a tank top and a fine sheen of sweat shone on her skin. I watched in amazement as she rose up onto her toes, arms spread, moving in a way that looked remarkably like ballet. I was stunned by the grace in her movements, but the longer I watched her, the more I was able to relate her skill dancing with her skill fighting. Even fighting, she moved with a certain grace and purpose. I wonder which one fed into the other. I attempted and failed to stifle a cough, and Natasha spun around with her eyes wide, staring at me. I blushed and averted my gaze, not wanting to embarrass her.

"I'm sorry, I didn't know anyone else was here." I mumbled, flustered. When she didn't respond, I glanced back up to find her just watching me, smiling.

"I thought I was here alone, too," she smiled. She reached down, like she was going to take her slipper thingies off.

"How do you do that?" I asked, gesturing towards the slipper.

"Do what?" She looked up, grinning.

"Stand on your toes like that?" She laughed.

"Lots and lots of practice." I shook my head.

"I couldn't do that in a million years." I mumbled. Her chuckle caught my gaze again.

"With how klutzy you are, I agree with you," she teased. I caught myself blushing again but recovered quickly and rolled my eyes. She let out an exasperated sigh. "Oh, come here." She muttered, gesturing me to come closer. I shrugged and entered. A few minutes later, I was in a heap on the floor, Natasha bent over double in front of me laughing so hard she could barely remain standing.

"Told you," I muttered. When she reached for my hand to help me up, I jolted her lightly.

"That's fair," she grinned, hauling me up.

...

I was already awake and doing my morning calisthenics when Yelena stumbled tiredly into my room through the connecting door, rubbing her eyes. She smirked down at me seeing me in a plank position.

"What are you doing?" She chuckled. I sighed and rose to a kneeling position before standing.

"Just stretching out," I said reluctantly. She chuckled.

"What are we doing today?" She asked. I hesitated, unsure of how she was going to react to my idea.

"I thought I could show you around the city a little. Like a tourist." She raised a single eyebrow.

"Seriously?" I shrugged.

"Natasha and I spent a lot of time here together. It would be nice to show you some of the places we liked the best." She remained quiet for a moment, digesting the offer before nodding.

"Fine. Let's go – unless you need to do more...posing."

"Stretching," I corrected her sarcastically. She rolled her eyes in response. I approached the dresser and she made no move to leave, so I pulled my t-shirt over my head, turning away from her to cover at least my front while I pulled a sports bra over my head. I looked over my shoulder when I heard her clear her throat behind me and I caught her staring. She blushed, but still didn't make any move to leave. I shrugged, dropping my shorts and pulling a pair of jeans on over my underwear. I turned back around finally, seeing Yelena leaning in the doorway, her mouth open slightly as she continued to stare. I smirked at her and got no reaction, so I moved past her, opening the door to my room and walking into the hall. When I still heard no movement behind me, I turned, smiling. "You coming?"

We walked through Times Square, Yelena's eyes widening as she bent her head so far back that I thought she was going to fall over. She spun slowly in a circle and I watched her smiling. "Whoa," was all she could manage to say. We picked up coffee from a cart in Central Park, and Yelena watched the people around us curiously. I showed her Grand Central before we widened our path, making our way past Lincoln Center. I turned when I felt Yelena's presence was no longer right beside me, and caught her staring up at the Marquee above our heads. Swan Lake. No way. I smiled, entering the lobby. Yelena caught my wrist. "What are you doing?" She hissed. I walked up to the counter and watched as the young lady standing there looked up at me and then did a double-take when she recognized who I was.

"Oh my god! Agent Winter!" She whispered frantically. I smiled at her, leaning forward and offering my hand. She shook it eagerly and I managed not to shock her. "It's such an honor to meet you! I mean, I'm a big fan!" She exclaimed. I caught Yelena staring at my hand, which the fan was still shaking. She frowned.

"Let's go," she muttered, moving away. I ignored her, turning back to the woman in front of me.

"I'm showing a friend around and I was hoping we could slip into the balcony to catch a little bit of practice?" The woman hesitated, but quickly grinned and nodded.

"Oh, of course!" She exclaimed. She moved like she was going to come out from behind the counter to show me the way, and I held up my hand.

"I know where it is," I said gently, smiling. She suddenly thrust a piece of paper at me.

"Could you...I mean, would you sign this?" She asked, blushing. I grinned.

"Of course," I said, taking the paper and scribbling my name. As I walked away, I gestured for Yelena to follow. I looked back at the woman who was now clutching the piece of paper to her chest, watching us. "Sorry," I said instinctively as Yelena bumped into my shoulder. I frowned. Did she do that on purpose?

I slid into the back row of the balcony, looking eagerly down towards the stage. Beside me, Yelena sank into the seat with a loud gasp. I glanced at her, seeing her eyes crinkle with something that looked a lot like glee. "Do you like it?" I asked, knowing the answer before she ever responded. She nodded, unable to speak. I don't know how long we sat there watching, but after rehearsal, we even got to go downstairs and meet some of the dancers. I watched Yelena, hearing her conversing with some of them in Russian, smiling and giving her the space she seemed to require in order to relax. As we finally made our way back into the outdoors, hours had passed. She turned to me, stopping in her tracks.

"Thank you for doing that," she said earnestly. I smiled.

"Not a problem." It was an easy thing to do. Even if it hadn't been, it would have been worth it to see Yelena that happy.

"Can I take you to dinner to repay you?" She asked. I raised my eyebrows, smiling.

"I know a place."