i remember the snow

On your tip toes, your hands held onto the window frame as you watched snow fall onto the outside world.

"Sir."

"Yes?"

"It's snowing." your voice was excited, something He hated to hear, He couldn't even begin to think about the amount of times He had told you to suppress all emotion.

"Correct."

"Can I open the window? I want to touch the snow."

He always pushed you too far, you were only a child, of course the snow will excite you. You learnt quickly that the worst kind of torture someone can inflict is mental torture. The physical kind was temporary, you realised that more and more every day.

The words He poured into your head were toxic, dissolving you from the inside out, making your organs turn black, burning holes in your muscles.

He replaced everything that was once yours with his own. As if putting a metal spine down your back, controlling it with a remote. Your life didn't belong to you, 'it never will.'

So you lay there, new scars forming, not once taking your eyes off the snow that fell outside this cage. They blurred in between every blink, the contrast between the red and white was all you could see.

But still, you watched them abandon you as they hit the ground, as if they never even existed.