Letters

"Letters .... That's how I know absolutely everything about mom's life. As soon as I was born, mom started writing letters telling me about her life. She wrote the first, two weeks after I was born. In it, she explains to me that she has a job that can be dangerous and that she will write these letters in case something happens to her. That way, I would know who she was and what she was doing in her life. She first told me about her family, then about her youth, about her studies and about her arrival at NCIS. She told me what she was doing without saying too much since it was classified missions. Then she told me about you and immediately told me that you were my father but that you didn't know it. At that time, she wrote about four letters a month because she still spent a lot of time at home. Then, she became director and there our life changed quite a bit. She was hardly ever home again and I was now being watched by three men who scared me a little at first. Fortunately there was Louise. It was my nanny... and a friend. She stayed with me until I arrived in Washington last month. Besides, I miss her a lot. Anyway! At this point, mom started to write more letters. About two a week. She was talking about your team, NCIS, her whole life in Washington actually. Then a few months before her death, she further accelerated her writing rhythm. She wrote dozens of pages a week. Even when she came to Paris, she spent most of her time writing, locked in her study. I was angry because she was hardly ever with me. Yet she kept telling me that she was doing this for me. Then Louise picked me up one evening from school and took me to eat ice cream. She even bought me two new dolls. Then, when I got home, she told me that mom was dead. I'll let you imagine how I reacted ... Mom had designated Louise so that she would continue to watch over me until I came of age. And on the day of my fifteenth birthday, she gave me two big boxes, explaining to me what it was about. I spent whole days reading and rereading the letters, locked in my room. I believe that was when I decided to become a federal agent. Thanks to all these letters, I felt living my mother's life like it was mine. Even things that I didn't want to know elsewhere ... Several letters talk about her love life and yours too! Except the blow of the three ex-women! Maybe she was jealous? (she smirks). Don't look at me like that, your team told me about it! Thanks to them I was also able to put face on certain names. (she smirks again). Afterwards, I also discovered more original things: the fact that you live with rules ... which mom also advised me to learn by heart if I intended to meet you (Gibbs laughed) or the fact that you have a boat in your basement. Mom was wondering how you got it out, but I don't think she found the answer. Anyway, this is how I know absolutely all of my mother's life and the people around her. "

Gibbs nodded slowly as he swallowed a piece of steak. They were silent for several minutes before Rose spoke again, less sure of herself.

"Wh ... Who knows who I really am? I mean, are there any other people besides you and Director Vance? "

Gibbs tilted his head slightly and curled his lips in a half-smile.

"- Who ? Rose said slightly worried

- You look a lot like your mother ... "

Rose mechanically grabbed a lock of her hair.

"Not just physically ... in your character and your way of thinking. So McGee had doubts as soon as he saw you and I confirmed to him what he already suspected. So are Ducky and Jimmy. And when I started to understand the truth, Agent Sloane was with me, so she knows who you are. "

Rose smirked mischievously when Gibbs told her he was with Sloane. Yet she said nothing.

"I imagine that was to be expected. Mom said NCIS was a disaster when it came to secrets and rumors. We know and keep state secrets, but as soon as it concerns employees, the entire agency is in the know within days!"

Elaine arrived to clear their plates and Rose ordered herself a dessert.

"You're right to come here, it's absolutely delicious! "

Gibbs smiled again. When Rose was done, Gibbs insisted on paying for both meals, but her daughter categorically refused. So they each paid their share and left. Outside, the September sun was starting to disappear and a light warm wind was blowing.

"Someday you'll have to show me the boat in your basement! I think that's what intrigues me the most. Mom said you were really good with wood... "Rose said, laughing.

Gibbs smiled and unlocked his car. He walked over to the passenger door and opened it. The young woman looked successively at her own car then that of her father and motioned for Justin to get out. The bodyguard emerged from the passenger seat and walked over to Rose.

"- I'm going to go with my father, Justin. You can follow us with my car if you want. Or...

- Rose, I'm here to protect you. So I owe you ...

- Justin, it's going to be okay. Rose cut him off. I am armed, my father too and you will follow us in the car. There is no risk.

- Very good. Guess I don't need to tell you that, but watch over her, Agent Gibbs.

- Don't worry Agent Martin! "

Rose and Gibbs got into the gray pickup as Justin got behind the wheel of Rose's car.

"So where are we going?" »Rose said

Gibbs just smiled and started the car.

I like this chapter. I really imagine Gibbs, Rose and Justin in the restaurant parking lot and the moment Gibbs opens the door just smiling and not saying a word. And then I can perfectly imagine the moment when Gibbs starts his pick-up and they leave the restaurant. Maybe with Rose opening the window and her hair blowing in the wind with her and Gibbs laughing and ... I think I'm getting carried away, right? But sometimes there are scenes like that at the very end of episodes where Gibbs laughs or smiles with other people. A sort of "HAPPY END".Otherwise, the end of the story is fast approaching. Tomorrow I post the last two chapters and the epilogue.See you tomorrow and until then, happy reading!