t w o

I could hear the sound of footsteps, bags being kept and chairs being dragged.

Prof Snow watched us all closely with his eyes of a hawk, sitting in a far corner of the classroom.

Seeing that most of the students had settled at the back of the class, he cringed his nose, moving his spectacles, which were ready to jump off the bridge of his nose at any time. I think, he's got some weird mannerisms. But then, who cares?

"Come here, and seat yourself in the front.", he addressed no one in particular. Two or three vacant places were now full. The place in front me, however, was still vacant. And I wasn't expecting anyone to come there. No one likes the front bench now do they? It's that 'spotlight seat' which makes you feel famous. But when you're an introvert it has an entirely different meaning.

"Dave, you too."

I froze. Am I hearing this right?

Oh, your ears are getting old, Ash. You might be imagining. You know he hasn't taken admission anywhere. Yet. You won't care. You don't even know him.

"Dave..."

I knew I heard it right this time. But it could be someone else with the same name. I dared not to turn. Who knew what sight awaited me? No worries, breathe in and out. Curiosity was carving my insides.

"Dave, come and sit on the first bench."
Oh god! I'm about to see. I'm finally-

Oh. I. Was. Right.

But. How. Is. This. Even. Possible?

//679//