Chapter two - The problem

The sunshine brilliantly complimented the clear blue sky above. In the peaceful landscape below the sound of people practising martial arts rang out for all to hear. In a large courtyard garden of an eloquently built temple, a school of martial artists trained vigorously before their master Bo' Rai Cho. 

Master Bo' Rai Cho is a plump Asian man, standing 5'10". His long hair whipping around as he demonstrated his patterns of round house kicks. His agility despite his obvious huge weight is renowned throughout the world. Before his fame many of his opponents thought they were in for an easy fight, but Bo' Rai Cho's unprecedented speed soon became legend. 

A spark of lightning hit the ground temporarily blinding both students and master. As their vision returned, a elderly man with long grey hair stood in the spot where the electricity had struck. The school immediately bowed down with one fist pressed against the ground. 

"Lord Raiden, ha ha, good to see you old friend" Master Bo' Rai Cho greeted him in his jolly voice. Offering his hand out in a formal manner.

"Master Bo' Rai Cho, you're looking well, how's the training coming along?" He asked grasping his friends hand. Raiden looked around at the students, casting an appreciative eye a their discipline. 

"I think this is my best crop yet, ha ha, they've mastered everything i've thrown at them. Would you like a demonstration?"

"No, no need for that, your word is all i need. I'm actually here on business" He gestured over to the temple. "May we speak privately"

"Sure thing, ha ha, never say no to a god. Hong Zai, take over here, go through steps nine to twelve and then take a breather"

"Yes master Bo' Rai Cho" He replied clapping one hand to his fist with a slight bow. "Right away"

The pair made the short walk into the temple and into the offices. Master Bo' Rai Cho casually strolled round his desk and slumped into the chair, heaving his legs up and resting them onto the table. 

"Nothing like resting the old feet after standing all day long, ha ha, now all i need is a jug of wine and a slab of meat" He said half jokily half serious. licking his lips as he thought more about it. "Yes, ha ha, that does sound good" he indicated for Raiden to take a seat, but he shook his head dismissively.

"No, i cant get comfortable. I have to be off again soon" He shook his head and light out a small sigh. "it is two years until the next Mortal Kombat tournament and i am not yet convinced we have anybody capable of winning. After Kano caused Johnny Cage to swerve his car off of the bridge and left both him and Sonya for dead. Although luckily they had survived, the crash had rendered both of them paralyzed. Then Jax losing control to his grief and anger, walked blindly into an obvious trap where Kano finished him mercilessly. Not to mention Liu Kang defection to Outworld, joining the emperor and killing Kung Lao in the last tournament. We are running out of time and people" He sighed again, longer this time "we're in deep trouble" both men stared into thin air for a few moments, reminiscing on what had been a terrible time.

"No one could have predicted that Liu Kang would turn he back on Earthrealm for power, that damn sorcerer Shang Tsung got into his head. It has been a time of great misfortune and loss but we have to get through this Raiden, we have no alternative" Bo' Rai Cho broke the silence, his normal jolly nature taking on a more serious persona. 

"Outworlds forces grow ever stronger, the odds are being stacked higher and higher before us, it seems an impossible hurdle. You say great misfortune, but this seems to much of a coincidence not to be a plan drawn up by the emperor to destroy the last remaining hope of us winning. But you are right, we cant give up our hope, otherwise we have already lost" he looked up with a reassuring smile. "How are the rest fairing?" 

"Well, we have Smoke teaching stealth techniques and Scorpion and Sub-zero teaching about honour and the art of Ninjitsu. Nightwolf has been teaching the students how to connect spiritually to the Earth and their ancestors. Oh, and Kitana has sent word that she we be leaving Edenia shortly to help with training" Bo' Rai Cho's face took on a worried expression. "We both know though that both Kitana and Scorpion can not participate. The students, although they are a good bunch, I wouldn't feel right throwing them in against outworld, they are not yet ready for the horrors that Mortal Kombat presents" 

"I understand, I have been watching a few who may have the potential, sort of a scouting mission if you like. Although I will have to watch them further to be sure" Raiden looked at Bo' Rai Cho who's troubled expression had not change.

"let us hope they prove themselves worthy soon, as we do not have much time" He said knowingly, looking at the desk and then back to his friend.

"Indeed, time is of the essence, which is why old friend I must leave for England now. Goodbye Master Bo' Rai Cho, may the Elder gods protect you" Raiden bowed slightly, his eyes flashed with a bolt of lightning and with a shower of sparks he was gone. Bo' Rai Cho sat still for a minute, thinking to himself, he eased his hands behind his head and closed his eyes, immediately drifting to sleep