Chapter 2; On The Cold Hard Ground

It had been a good few days after the party, summer was over and I’d gone back to my innocent school girl life. That party was the first and last time I would experience the street life- or so I had thought. As I made my way to school my phone began to ring. At first I thought it was one of my friends from Redwalk Prep, and then I saw a number that I didn’t recognise.

“Hello?” I spoke into the phone.

“Sophia! Hello beautiful.” Replied a deep male voice. Butterflies began to form in my stomach, I recognised the voice and I guess I hoped it was Ayyub.

“Who is this?” I asked, still unsure but hopeful.

“It’s Shahin.” He laughed, like it was that obvious.

My heart sunk, I have no idea that why I had hoped Ayyub, a boy I had only met and spoken to once, would be calling me. After getting over the shock and disappointment I had just began to wonder how he had my number.

“How did you get my number?”

“Your cousin gave it to me. Look I was thinking I’ll swing by and collect you after school?”

“Urm..” Before I could answer he replied for me.

“Cool see you later.”

And he hung up.

*

I walked into my form room, swinging my bag casually on the chair, sliding myself onto the table. What can I say? Here at Redwalk, well we weren’t exactly normal.

Sophiiiiiiiaaaaaaa!” I heard the all too familiar shrill of Nora.

I guess you could say Nora was like my bestfriend...if I actually had any of those.

Nora was one of the popular girls; she was part of the group I hung out with. Now not being big-headed or shallow, but the clique I was part of were considered the most popular group of girls in the school. This consisted of Lola, a very curvy and big-mouthed girl. She could be the sweetest girl ever, but she could also be a mega bitch. Yes, she was one of those girls, I’m sure we all know one. Nora was probably considered the school slag. She knew every boy in the area, and probably had is something to do with each of them, but she was a bubbly midget that one. Oh and she had a twin sister, Nina, who was the complete opposite! Then there were the expelled Alexis, to be quite frank I really didn’t like Alexis. She was pretty, and boy did she know it! She was a complete stuck up bitch that tried the tomboy thing, but was actually just as slutty as any other. She was the type to look down on those she thought were not “cool” which of course, was me. Then was the mother of the group, Nayra, she was Miss Sensible and probably the easiest to talk to. Then as every group needs; the geek. That was Kaila, she was a skyscraper! The tallest girl in the whole school and she was like a mini Einstein!

So I guess you’re wondering where I fit in? Well I was Queen of the Nerds, Nora being one of those nerds. Nora met a boy and well you know how that ends... she soon became popular. Then of course the schools good girl got a detention. So that’s where I caught Lola’s eye. Every group needed a self-conscience insecure fat girl right? Well that was me.

That was until the fat girl came back 5 stones lighter.

“You’ve lost so much weight!” Nora shrilled shock evident on her face.

“Wow Sophia! You look good.” Lola added, approvingly. “Who knew summer could change people that  much!”

I felt a slight blush form on my cheeks. I was dead pleased by my friends approving glances.