9 | we need a break

❝Lily❞

About an hour later from the awkward coffee date, Ashton and I are well on our way to the beach. We stopped back to grab our bathing suits and are now riding somewhat silently to the nearest beach. I steal a few glances over to him, thinking to myself.

Do I really like him? I can't... can I? We're friends, Lily. It's really hard to convince myself when all I want to do is feel the taste of his lips on mine.

"What?" He laughs, turning over to me momentarily while driving.

"What?" I reply with a question.

"What are you looking at, weirdo?" he laughs, jokingly reaching over and squeezing my thigh.

Oh fuck.

"Oh-uh-I'm" my wide eyes glance down to his hand, his very large hand which is currently wrapped around my thigh. "I'm not doing anything."
I laugh a little bit to match his energy.

"Okay... I don't believe you." He chuckles before pulling into a parking place. I just chuckle dryly in response.

The awkwardness surpasses after we leave his car. I just couldn't breathe in that confined space with him.

"Do you wanna go swimming now or just chill by the water?" He asks, wrapping an arm around me as we walk onto the sand.

"Let's get in the water, I'm so hot right now." I fan myself with my hand dramatically. He just smiles and rolls his eyes at me, shaking his head slightly.

We're over by the water a few minutes later, setting up our spot. Ashton is putting up an umbrella for us while I start to take off my clothes, revealing my black bikini.

"C'mon Ash," I smile, motioning to the water. He makes a little face at me but takes off his shirt too and runs after me to the water. We're in a fit of laughter at each other as we move deeper and deeper into the water. My body is immediately cooled and I feel weightless. I move to my back and smile to Ashton as I swim around.

"You're an absolute weirdo." He facepalms at me.

"Shut up" I stand up and splash water on him.

"You didn't just splash me."

"I did." I smile proudly, splashing him again.

"Oh no no no" he lifts me out of the water and slings me on his shoulder.

"Ash! Ashton put me down! Stop it!" I yell to him while laughing and kicking my legs a bit.

"Okay, if you say so." He tosses me back into the water.

"Ashton!" He just laughs at me.

***

The day just goes on and on and I honestly couldn't tell you how long we'd been at the beach. I just know that it was approaching sun set. Still, we sit on our beach towel, watching the sun lower onto the water. I place my head on his shoulder, looking forward to the waves.

He's been kinda quiet for awhile, I'm not sure why. I lift my head up and turn to him. "Hey Ash-" I'm stopped mid sentence. He looks over to me, too, but all I can look at is his lips. His eyes flicker to mine, too. I could swear it so. "do...you" I slowly utter. I'm entranced.

"Yeah?" His voice is low.

"Uh" I swallow hard, "do you want to go home yet?"

"Oh-uh," his eyes meet mine. "Yeah, of course."

I can't like Ashton. Was this what he wanted? I've been letting down my barriers with him and I've become more vulnerable around him. Was this what he does with girls? No. It can't be.

Either way, we need a break.

A/n: sorry this chapter sucks. I needed a filler.