New Life

Loki laid on his bed with his hands folded over his stomach, staring at the textured ceiling of his new room. The setting sun was shining through his window, casting warm golden beams of light across his bed and walls. Even though he absolutely abhorred Midgard, he had to admit the colors of the sunset were beautiful. In fact, there were quite a few beautiful things here in Midgard, but he would never admit to liking any of them.

Loki swung his legs over the side of his bed and stood up, walking towards the window to watch the sunset. It was only his first night sleeping here, but he was already dreading it. Although he liked having his own room and not being locked up in a cell, he knew he wouldn't really have privacy here with the Avengers and their distrust. It wasn't like he could go anywhere, especially without his magic. Thor had succeeded in finding a way to temporarily stop his magic. Although Loki could still feel it inside of him, it was blocked from his usage by the small, circular device that Thor and Dr. Strange had created and placed on his neck just behind his ear. It was the size of a small button, but it still felt weird the way it sat on his skin. And if he tried to remove it without the code only Thor knew, it would temporarily paralyze him with an electrical current and alert the tower's security system. Not that he would try to remove it though.

A knock on the door shook him from his thoughts. Pulling his eyes away from the darkening sky, he walked to the door and opened it to find Thor.

"Hello," Thor said with a smile. "Are you hungry? Dinner is ready."

"Why so late?"

"Busy schedules," Thor shrugged. "Sometimes dinner is even later than this."

"Ahh, I see," Loki said.

"Come now, brother. Let us go eat!" Thor stepped into Loki's room and grabbed his brother by the shoulders, steering him towards the elevators.

"I didn't say I was hungry, Thor," Loki said, trying to pull away from his brother's strong grip.

"I know you are though. You are even grumpier when you are hungry, and that is saying a lot."

Loki sighed and stepped in the elevator, giving up on struggling to get away. There wasn't a point in arguing about it either. And it was true that he was hungry; he hadn't eaten since breakfast this morning before they came to the tower.

The elevator opened up to a small hallway that led to a kitchen area. In one corner of the room was a table, set with dinner plates and dishes filled with steaming hot food. The Avengers sat around it, each of them piling their plates up with what they wanted to eat. Thor placed his hand on Loki's shoulder and guided him to the two empty chairs reserved for them.

Loki sat down slowly, not bothering to look at anyone as he put food on his plate.

"How was everyone's day?" Steve asked, obviously trying to ease the tension.

"I have had a great day!" Thor exclaimed through a mouthful of food. Loki cringe at Thor's lack of manners.

"Good," Steve said, laughing awkwardly. "I'm glad."

The room fell silent again, the quiet only interrupted by the scraping of silverware on the plates.

Thor finished his food and leaned back in his chair, placing his hands on his stomach. "In about three weeks we will be relocating my people."

"Oh yeah, I forgot about that," Agent Romanoff said. Only then did Loki realize he was sitting right next to her, her shoulder mere inches away from his left side. He glanced sideways at her, trying not to draw her attention to himself. Her face was mostly unreadable, her brows creased together slightly. She was wearing an oversized sweatshirt paired with shorts that would be forbidden in Asgard. No proper lady in Asgard would wear such a thing, but then again, this wasn't Asgard.