The First Evil

When did the first evil occur? What did God do when He noticed it for the first time? What was the act itself?

“How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken, the nations! For thou hast said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above, the stars of God: I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north: I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High. Yet thou shalt be brought down to hell, to the sides of the pit.” Isaiah 14: 12-15

"…Thou sealest up the sum, full of wisdom, and perfect in beauty. Thou hast been in Eden the garden of God; every precious stone was thy covering, the sardius, topaz, and the diamond, the beryl, the onyx, and the jasper, the sapphire, the emerald, and the carbuncle, and gold: the workmanship of thy tabrets and of thy pipes was prepared in thee in the day that thou wast created. Thou art the anointed cherub that covereth; and I have set thee so: thou wast upon the holy mountain of God; thou hast walked up and down in the midst of the stones of fire. Thou wast perfect in thy ways from the day, that thou wast created, till iniquity was found in thee" Ezekiel 28: 12-15

Question 1: When did the first evil occur?

The first evil occurred in the place of purest light and holiness. It occurred in the very throne room of the creator of all things. This gave God firsthand knowledge and a front row seat. It happened when one of His special angels who was created for a specific task and given a specific purpose decided that he could do something else.

Mind you, he had not taken any action; it was just a thought. It was an original thought but it was not the originality that made it evil but something deeper. We understand by scriptures that God gave self-will to his “intelligent” beings. That is, He gave them the ability to choose or decide on a line of action without them being forced to do His bidding.

He made them know His will and did not shirk from revealing or telling them what He wanted them to do but what he allowed was for them to be able to decide if they would do what He wanted of them on their own volition. God was not interested in making robots as we understand robots or make an adding machine that will only produce what has been entered.

This was how He made this special angel, to know His will and be told His will but have a mind of his own. God loves it when we decide to do what He wants of us and “respects” it when we do not (He also makes the consequences of not doing what He wants quite clear). However, we are talking about first and there was a first time someone decided to do something aside and different from what God wanted him to do. The first time it happened was in His throne room because the angel’s task meant he had to be at the throne room as the “covering cherub”.

"...therefore I will cast thee as profane out of the mountain, of God: and I will destroy thee, O covering cherub, from the midst, of the stones of fire." Ezekiel 28:16

“Thou art the anointed cherub that covereth; and I have set thee so…” Ezekiel 28: 14

Question 2: What did God do when He noticed it for the first time?

The first thing He did was to give it a name. He called it evil. It stuck. Now scripture tells us that Noah believed God and God called that act of belief righteousness. The same thing was said of Abraham when he believed and God called it righteousness. The point here is the name that God gives a thing sticks. If he had called what that angel did “brilliant”, it would have been so forever.

However, God called it evil. Does this mean that it was evil in the real sense of the word? Excuse me, there was no word like evil before that time so the real sense of the word was what God coined of it because He was the one that created the word evil and gave it a meaning. By calling it evil, He made it an antithesis of everything that was good.