Chapter X

Bucky and Steve made their way to Bruce's office. Once there, they opened the door to see Vivian hooked up to an oxygen tank. The setup was much cruder than a hospital, but a lot safer for this line of work. The woman on the table was still unconscious. Seeing all of the cuts and bruises on her body made the men feel so guilty. In the many years doing this, they'd never felt the amount of guilt that they did right now.

"Do you think we should've just taken her home?" Bucky asked, lightly brushing his thumb over her bandaged cheek. Steve shook his head.

"Goodard almost got to her twice. She'd be dead if we left her alone." This seemed to ease the brunette a little. "Bucky..." Steve put a hand on his friend's shoulder. Bucky looked back at the blonde and studied his troubled look.

"I know, Steve. I know."

Bucky looked back at the girl to see her eyes fluttering a bit. Steve hummed.

"Looks like she's starting to wake up." Bucky nodded in agreement.

"Doll? Can you hear me?" Bucky held the woman's hands and noticed just how much softer they were than his calloused ones. "Vivian?"

Slowly, Vivian opened her eyes and looked around. When she saw the duo standing before her she smiled tiredly.

"Hi." Her voice was strained and grainy, barely even coming out. Bucky smiled sympathetically.

"Don't talk if you can help it for now," Steve said. "Your vocal cords might get more damaged." Vivian nodded and mock saluted at him, earning a small laugh from both of the men.

"Doll, what you did," Bucky started, "was so smart. I'm proud that you were able to think so quickly." Vivian blushed a little and smiled at him. She took the mask off of her face and tried to sit up, wincing in the process. Bucky put a hand on her back and helped her to sit upright.

"Ouch." She croaked.

"Are you in a lot of pain? I can go get Banner." Steve was like a mother hen this whole time, watching her movements, her breathing, he was worried to death that the girl was more hurt than it seemed. She brushed him off and sighed.

"You're tired." Bucky said, knowing. She nodded. "Do you want to sleep here, or in one of our rooms?" The woman thought, then pointed at Steve. The two nodded and Steve took the lead, picking up the woman and moved to leave. Bucky walked with them and once to Steve's room they stopped.

"Doll?" Bucky said, gaining Vivian's interest. "Sleep tight." He smiled and pressed a light kiss on her forehead, chuckling at the color going right to her cheeks. Steve, amused, smiled and shook his head.

"Goodnight, Buck."

"Night, jerk."

"Punk." And with that, the two parted ways.

~~~~

"You're telling me that Jay Goodard is dead?" His voice was harsh, almost mocking.

"Yes, sir. He was taken out, we presume Barnes or Rogers did it." The intern said, his voice shaking and nervous. The man scoffed.

"Presumed. All of the suits those men I sent with him had cameras, String Bean. Look at the cameras and then come to me with accusations that this involved Steve Rogers and James f-ing Barnes." The man's voice grew in volume until he was yelling by the end of the sentence. The intern had shrunken down at the verbal abuse.

"Yes sir. I'll get right on it." The intern all but ran out of the materialists office, replaced by a woman in a pencil skirt.

"I've got those orders you asked for." The man smiled at the blonde woman and seemed to immediately diffuse.

"Thank you, Pepper. You are too kind. Remind me to give you a raise." The blonde chuckled and went to leave the office to finish her other work.

"Will do, Mr. Stark."