Chapter 5 F

John

My father is George Blythe, owner of multiple tech companies. And is now the former owner of Blythe Law Point. My family is well known for being classified as prestigious. I come from a long line of lawyers who attended the famous Ivy League school, Harvard Law School. I have long since graduated from college and never planned much for my future. I always hoped that I could get away with things. After I graduated from college, I didn't do much. Not because I was lazy but because I knew who my father was. Now, I will be the new owner of Blythe Law Point, the law firm every lawyer would like to work at. 

At this conference, my father had me lead this signing event. The law firm is collaborating with a forensic laboratory. Who would have thought I would be working here? Doing this. In law school, I never planned to take over my father's law firm, I was making plans to dodge the responsibility. After signing this deal, I will be the new owner of the law firm. 

My father and I make our way to the conference room, where the signing event is scheduled. After talking and looking through the contract with the Laboratory representatives, they sign our contract terms. In a matter of seconds, I became the new owner. As the representatives exited the building of the law firm, the staff, and my team in charge of the event let out a sigh. We all feel it, the relieving feeling of success. I announce the good news as my father announces his, passing me the responsibilities of the head. After a miniature celebration, I dismiss everyone for the day. 

My decision wasn't so simple. I can't say I even had to make a decision, it was made for me. I was a nonchalant person in law school. I never had to take anything because I was given everything before I could ask for it. I am the oldest son, so this all was a given. I just had to prove to myself that I could take it. It was hard rigorous work to step up and take over. But I don't plan to stay the owner. I am only doing this for one person. 

As my father and I get in the car, the driver heads out to drop off my father at his home. I haven't been able to get proper sleep. I had many light nights because of all the work I had to do. I've made my father proud, I know that for sure. For a long time, he probably thought I was going nowhere with so much lost potential, but it takes one person to make you think differently. 

My father praises me as we drive toward his house."You outdid yourself. I am happy you're taking this seriously. I am proud." 

"I am glad it's over. I can't wait to sleep. My head is killing me." I rub my eyes as I lay my head back on the car seat. 

He chuckles a bit, "That's a normal reaction. Not everyone can keep a law firm going. That is the beauty of it. Not everyone can do it, if not everyone would be lawyers with a law firm."

"Tell me about it. I can't believe I signed myself up for this." I chuckle as I meditate on this choice. 

"Okay, drama queen. You'll learn to take naps here and there with time. It's just a lifestyle you have dominated." My father is dropped off, he turns to me and tells me to get some rest before tomorrow. As my driver heads toward my apartment, I try to call my fiancee. The call doesn't go through as if she turned off her phone. I haven't been home for a few days because I had to stay overnight with the team involved in the signing event. Everything had to come out perfect. 

I was always taught that responsibility must not be taken lightly. I have worked for the past few days, without coming back home. My head is throbbing. My body is craving sleep, I can finally let go. I arrive at my apartment and notice it's unlocked. I dismiss it and head to the bedroom. I loosen my tie as I open the door. My bed is occupied. But with two people, instead of one."Bell?" I ask knowing very well that she is the only person that should be in here. 

"John! What are you doing here?" Tori quickly gets up to cover herself.

I notice a familiarity from the second person, struggling to get his clothes on. "Zac?"

"It's not what you think John. I can explain," Bell finishes putting her clothes on. I never touched her, yet here she is not hesitating with another person who is not me. 

"Explain what Really?! That you been sleeping with him, while I'm killing myself at work?" I stagger backward.

"I never asked you to do that." She gives me an offended look. I was doing all this for her. Did that mean nothing to her? I didn't want this position, I never even wanted that job. I just wanted to be with her. 

"I was doing it for us. For our future." I give her a disgusted look before I walk out of the apartment.