Chapter 4: Fawn (Revised!)

Chapter 4: Fawn

            Cody hadn't spoken to me since that day I had caught him talking about me behind my back. It was a Sunday evening and I was lying on my bed with a frown sketched onto my face.

            Cody was popular now, and I was just the person who had supported him until now. It was strange because I hadn't expected anything different to happen. He was incredibly talented and had a shining personality. All it took was an opportunity for him to be popular- and that was making the basketball team.

            Though I knew these things came with this newfound popularity, I was very hurt Cody had just ditched me like that. I sighed and grabbed my phone off my nightstand. I just stared, hoping it would ring. Hoping Cody would call me.

            The phone just stared back at me, my sad face reflecting off the dark screen. I sadly placed the phone back and settled into my bed. I had school tomorrow. Perhaps Cody wanted to talk to me in person.

            My alarm went off and my hand sleepily dragged to hit the 'off' button. I sighed and got up. After I brushed my hair and teeth I slipped on my blue jeans and a light blue hoodie. I put my sneakers on and grabbed my backpack, not in the mood for breakfast.

            It was early September and it was already starting to get colder outside. I watched the trees sway slowly in the wind as I stepped outside of my house. I began the walk to school, but since I had left a little bit early I took the long way.

            I walked down the winding sidewalk, lost in thought. I needed a way to get through to Cody. Emma had a strong grip on him, along with most kids in the school. She wasn't the most popular girl in school, however.

            A girl named Fawn Selma was, by far, the most popular girl in school. She was an 8th grader (like me) and if I could get to her, I could get to anyone in the school, most importantly Cody. The problem was I didn't know how to get to talking to her. She was in my Home Ec class, maybe I could think of something then.

            I shook my head as I approached the school. What was I even thinking? A girl like me could never even imagine talking to a girl like Fawn. Heck, a girl like me couldn't talk to a boy like Cody, or at least the boy he had become.

            I put too much pressure on my pen as I wrote in my notebook. Blue splotched of ink covered the page and smeared my writing.

            "Are you okay?" Charmaine mouthed from four desks away from me. I nodded and returned to my writing.

            Charmaine was a pretty cool person. We were becoming fast friends. I had never had a girl best friend or a lot of friends really. The bell rang and I packed up my stuff, ready to go to Home Ec. I entered into the bustling hallways. Charmaine caught up with me and greeted me.

            "So you're sure you are okay?" she asked.

            "Yeah," I lied.

                        "Something has been bugging you lately. I can tell. Spill," Charmaine said.

            I sighed and told her everything that happened between Cody and I. I talked about Emma being rude and Cody's back stabbing. "I honestly don't know what to do," I finished. 

            "You'll think of something," Charmaine assured me. "If Emma wants to play a game, show her how it's played. Well, I have to go bye." Charmaine walked into her art classroom.

            I let her words sink in. Show her how it's played, her words echoed in my ears. I entered my Home Economics classroom and read the board. Our teacher, Mrs. Robinson, liked to put what we were learning that day on the board. "The key in any home or classroom is organization," she had said.

            The board said, "Today we will be cooking, serving our dishes, and cleaning up afterwards." The message was straightforward.

            "Good morning, class," Mrs. Robinson greeted us.

            "Hi," the class responded. Mrs. Robinson smiled and quickly introduced the lesson so she wasn't wasting any time. "Time efficiency is key," she once told us.

            "Okay, you can make a recipe from the recipe books back there and remember SAFETY FIRST!" she dismissed us.

            Each member of the class quickly went to the back and rummaged through the dishes found in each book. Most of the guys decided to make something easy like spaghetti or macaroni. I skimmed through the book until I came across a chocolate mousse dish.

            Fawn approached one of the ovens surrounded by her friends. I settled on an oven diagonal to Fawn's. She whisked away and chattered with her friends.

            "I really hope Emma doesn't make the basketball team captain. She's really untalented," Fawn said, pouring her batter into a cake pan. Emma  and Fawn were rivals because Emma knew she would never be as great as Fawn.

            "Someone who can actually play should be captian," Fawn continued. I listened intently, trying to figure out her interests so that I could try to strike conversation with her.

            "What do you mean?" one of her friends asked. I really was interested in where Fawn was going with this conversation. She had good points and I was relieved I wasn't the only one who wished some decent people represented the school.

            "A pretty girl. Smart, too. And someone who can actually play basketball," Fawn replied, putting her cake into the oven.

            "Then why don't you try out?" another girl asked.

            Fawn snorted. "I love watching  basketball but I'm not very good at it. I just want Emma to go fown in flames." She set the timer for the cake and smiled. "Can you hand me the frosting?" she asked one of her friends sweetly.

            "It's too bad nobody at this school is even like that," Ashley Salazar replied. 

            "What will we do?" someone asked.

       "Wait for Emma to get kicked off the basketball team," Fawn murmured. They chuckled as they pictured this perfect basketball team captain.

            Fawn wasn't exactly "down to earth". She was popular and really pretty which was why people liked her so much.  Boys wanted her and girls wanted to be her. She wasn't the sharpest knife nor was she the nicest person, but I knew that she had connections all over the school.

            They continued to talk about the girl's basketball team for some time. Eventually, they started talking about boys they liked and girls they hated. I got bored at one point in the conversation.

            But an idea had come to me. I could have sudden and massive popularity. All I had to do was be team captain of the girl's basketball team. Simple, right?

A/N This is the revised chapter 4. I actually got around to writing it ;).