Chapter 7: Makeover (Revised!)

At promptly 12:02 pm Fawn, Madison Shultz, and Anna Hanson sashayed into the food court of the mall. Fawn’s eyes searched the court before finally landing on me. She smiled and walked over to me, her attitude over the top preppy.

“Well, hello!” she said cheerfully.

“Hi,” I said confidently, hiding how insufficient I felt next to her. She was like the epitome of a popular girl and I stood in clothes I had bought last year.

“So,” Fawn said, leading the group to some store. “I was thinking… You need a makeover.”

A makeover? Don’t get me wrong, I knew I looked nothing like a pretty, preppy girl, but I wasn’t sure if I really wanted to- or if I could afford it. I had only managed to pawn $30 off of my parents.

Still, I wanted Fawn to be happy so I asked, “What did you have in mind?”

“I’m glad you asked,” she said, grinning.

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-

Somehow, I managed to find myself in a hair salon that gave off the look that one haircut was more costly than my entire life. How in the world was I going to tell Fawn I couldn’t afford this without coming across as pathetic?

“Um, hey I didn’t really think this was going to happen, so I only brought some of my money,” I said. I wondered if that totally sent a signal that declared “I’M BROKE! I’M BROKE! I’M BROKE!” 

“Oh, no worries, hon. My uncle runs this place, and I can for sure get this at a discount!” Fawn said coolly.

“Really? Thanks, Fawn!” I said in awe.

“No problem, dear. Anything to make a friend fabulous.”

Between Jamba Juices, teenage magazines, and the company of three popular girls, my hair appointment went right by. Fawn’s uncle, Samuel, highlighted my hair, layered it, and styled it, and made sure to give me the side swept bangs all girls seemed to be dying for. As I looked into the mirror, I was in shock of what I saw. This could not be the straight A, math competition nerd I really was. And since I only had to pay $10 I was even more floored.

“You’re a genius,” I gasped.

Samuel smirked, “I know.” At least now I knew where Fawn got it…

“And we’re not quite done,” Fawn reminded me, “We have tons to do!” Her eyes sparkled, almost mischievously and I genuinely worried for my life in that moment.  She was like a tiger, ready to pounce with lip-gloss and the color pink.

Madison and Anna departed soon after, leaving me to fend for myself with a Fawn that seemed all too consumed in making me preppy. “I have tons of money to blow, so let’s hit up Forever 21. I’ve been dying to get some shirts from there,” Fawn smiled. I nodded, and followed her.

I purchased $15 worth of clothes (only consisting of a light sweater that was Fawn approved), but Fawn bought us matching floral skirts.