Our Truth In April

Disclaimer:
This is story is messy, it's also a 'first try' thing. Meaning I wrote it and never checked over it. It will be under editing on another app. Enjoy:)
————————————————————

Arima Kousei was going to play for her. Actually no, scratched that, he played with her. He found the letter beside her a day ago as she was getting ready for her surgery, he read it... and cried over it. His fingers elegantly pressed the keys as he played their song only this time alone. 'Everybody's watching...the people who made my life fuller. The people who called me back to the stage. Everybody's watching' Yet, there she was. Slowly appearing in front of the stage giving a smile. 'I... I can't let them down.'

"Can I reach you?" He heard a gasp in the crowd and turned his head to the voice. It was Tsubaki, the phone slipping out of her hands as she clung onto Watari. Kousei began to think of the unthinkable- the truth that didn't want to admit. The truth he believed as a lie. He had to keep going but he kept falling deeper, he couldn't stop now. A hand reached for him and slowly pulled him out, it was Kaori Miyazono.

'This is the sound that my mother gave me. The sound that Watari made me notice. The sound that Tsubaki found for me. The sound that was born out of my battles with Aiza and Igawa-san. The sound that Aiza-san and I created together. The sound that Hiroko-san made me remember.'

She spoke to him as they played. "Keep going Kousei."

'Only a couple notes left Kousei.' He played them with sadness and despair. As he played the final notes Kousei turned his head slowly towards her and noticed her fading appearance. He felt his lips tremble. He watched her form a smile as he stood up on the stage. He watched her form a smile that he couldn't bear to see. A smile that he didn't want to see. A smile that read 'Goodbye, Kousei.'

Wait...

Arima Kousei ran. He ran out the stage leaving behind an audience who were left touched and inspired. Never forgetting the paper bag of Canelés. He left behind his friends as he ran to her. He ran so he could reach her in time. She needed to wait for him.

"Kaori, wait for me!" He screamed as he ran with all his might, nearly stumbling forward and hitting the shoulders of strangers that knew him. Who was he kidding? Everyone knew him. Yet, They never knew her.

Please don't go...
Pester me for canelés again!

"I have your canelés Kaori!" He sobbed as he kept running forwards, always making sure to stop at stop lights. His heart sped up every time he passed a stop light that was red, knowing he was always one step closer and she was always two steps back.

"I promised you I'd bring them, didn't I?" He indeed kept that promise.

Call me to kill time again!

Kousei mumbled as he ran. "I called you this morning. You didn't pick up- Now you're slipping away."

I don't care if I'm just Friend A...

"I read your letter before the performance, Friend A is very sorry. I know I shouldn't have- But I wrote you one too. Words I can't say to you in person. " He cried as he got closer to the hospital. 'One more stop light.'

He should've been there by now, he should've been in her room to see her. To see her slowly slipping out of consciousness, except he isn't.

The moment the lights hit red he ran.

Unbeknownst to anyone running after him and at him that someone so impaired, someone nearly blinded by the lights in front of them, someone so intoxicated and so careless- was driving at an insane speed was feets away from where his second step was supposed to be.