Chapter Seventeen: The Phoenix and the Gem

The elements arrived where they saw a beautiful, glimmering light. It was the gem! Scarlet reached out to grab it, but just then, a massive phoenix swooped down. The dolphins got scared and swam away. The phoenix made Scarlet lose her balance and drop the gem while a big wave pushed them all back to shore. The gem was now in the phoenix's clutch.

Suddenly, the phoenix made a loud screeching noise. It opened its beak and black mist came out of its mouth. Everyone, one by one, passed out. The phoenix tied them to a tree and was about to kill them, when Ava came up behind it. She dodged the black mist. 

Ava had enough with Ash's shenanigans. It was time to put an end to all of this nonsense. Ava used her power to control the phoenix's mind. The phoenix screeched and screeched. Ava was slowly rising into the air. She was using so much power, her eyes went completely white. The wind started picking up and Skylar wasn't even doing anything to it. The loud wind woke everyone else up.

Jasmine used her sword to slice through the vines tying them to the tree.

Finally, Ava got a grasp of not only the phoenix's mind, but also Ash's. Turns out, Ash created this phoenix as an experiment and he used his Shadow Takeover to control its every move. 

"Everyone! Keep the phoenix busy while I try to disconnect it from Ash!"

Skylar created a humongous gust of wind and blew it right in the phoenix's face, forcing it to close its eyes. Jasmine froze them shut.

Sophia put vines around the phoenix and tied it up.

Scarlet put a ring of fire around the phoenix.

Misty made a barrier of water to keep the shadowy bird from flying away.

Lucy and Jess made a tiny solar eclipse that would only affect the phoenix. The phoenix became blind.

Eventually, Ash and his phoenix were so caught up in the chaos, their attention was off Ava. The phoenix was leaping, jumping, and screeching around. It grew very angry. It somehow managed to peck through Misty's force field. It stuck its head out, bent down, snatched up Jasmine, and threw her against a tree. Once it did, the phoenix screeched.

Alex had found a way to climb on top of the phoenix. The phoenix spun around and around trying to throw Alex off, but he held on tight. It was like watching a rodeo!

"Try not to move so much! This spell is going to take some time!" Ava said, almost out of breath.

"I'll try not to!" Alex yelled over he noise.

The phoenix was so focused on Alex, it completely forgot everything else. The rest of the elements joined in the fight. Vivian turned herself into a giant phoenix to try and help Alex. She bit at the phoenix's neck. The real phoenix was trying to fight back. Scarlet was finally able to pick up the gem.

The phoenix's blindness wore off and it grabbed the gem right out of Scarlet's hands.

"Hey! Give that back! Didn't your parents ever teach you to share?" Scarlet asked.

"I don't think that'll ever happen. They fight as soon as they see their mom with their first worm as babies." Sophia said.

Kendall grabbed a stick and threw it at the phoenix to get its attention. At that moment, the phoenix was so mad, its black mist was everywhere.

Kendall created a healing bubble around her and her friends so they wouldn't get affected by the mist again. 

The phoenix was so focused on everyone else, it dropped the gem. Misty picked it up and threw it to Ava. The phoenix was trying so hard to snatch the gem out of Ava's hands, but it was no use. The gem glowed and helped Ava with her spell.

The connection between the phoenix and Ash vanished all thanks to Ava. Ava stopped the spell and bent down to catch her breath. She opened her eyes and passed the gem to Misty. She felt so beat and out of breath because she used so much power.

Ava opened her eyes and passed the gem to Misty. "I believe you lost something?" She said, still out of breath.

As Misty held the gem in her palms, it let out a huge beam of light and restored Ava's magic energy so she'd have enough power to fight Ash. This was the very same gem that created th God Elements long ago.

Alex hopped down from the phoenix. It was now in the middle of the group. They joined, hand in hand, and mixed their powers together for one big blast.

The phoenix let out a very ear shattering scream-like screech. The phoenix was now dead all thanks to a tiny gem. All they had to do now was teleport back and use the gem to defeat Ash then Zaria will be saved!

"See Ava? You did that all by yourself!" Lucy said.

"Well, yes, I may have done most of the sweating and concentrating, but I did it with all your guys' help!" Ava said.

"We may have gone a bit overboard. Don't you think?" Sophia asked.

"No way, Sophia! We totally rocked over there! Man! If only our real parents would've seen us!" Scarlet said, giving herself a pat on the back and high fiving everyone else.

"Alex? Will you do the honors?" Misty asked.

"Yes please!" Alex said.