Prologue

The streets were usually quiet and oblivious to any sign of waking up. Windows were closed, and she couldn't see anything behind them, just a black colour swirling behind the glass. It was hiding inside every house. Like a cape, one would use to cover his head.

She remembered fondly of those times when capes were necessary among people of her kind. It was more than a hundred years ago, during the time of two queens of the British realm. It was also the time when people found out about her kind.

She wished to have one of those cloaks right now. Not because of danger as it used to be. But because she wanted to hide in the black colour just like the insides of the cottages around her.

At the very centre of Rosehold, where every little street was crammed with all sorts of people, especially today, she felt uneasy. Her honey-coloured hair seemed like a pull for others. They watched her or waved in her direction. She reluctantly smiled back at them. Idiots.

The streets were usually quiet, but not today. And they won't be for the following seven days.

She heard laughter ringing in her ear. It flew through her brain to the very corners of her delicate mind, resulting in a frown. She hated those festivities. Those stupid commoners who didn't know their place ventured out of their homes to visit Rosehold. Her territory. Her home.

She contemplated turning around and returning to her house when something caught her sight.

It was a young man. He wouldn't be any different from those she met so far in her life – except this one was different. Everyone was smiling and chatting, walking through Rosehold as one big happy neighbourhood. She couldn't decide whether she wanted to be a part of that.

But not him; he stood out. He looked frantically over his shoulders and turned from one side to the other. The stranger filled his eyes with shock. She watched him from afar, resting her head against a tree. Who was he, and how on earth did he get there? He shouldn't be here.

His eyes suddenly found hers, and she froze for a beat. Regaining her composure in a second, she surprised herself by lifting a corner of her mouth. This was an invitation enough.

The man walked hastily towards her, his eyes never leaving hers.

She smiled, moving from the tree. Perhaps this year wouldn't be so bad.