3

So, now was the Second Day. The Second Day meant spending the night outdoors. What a bizarre situation.

But Keira liked it. She thought about it when she turned around and returned to the village. There was nothing ahead of her - only deep woods - so her logic commanded her to return. Therefore, letting her hands swing around her body, she changed the direction to where she came from.

As she marched ahead, minding her own business, the stares of the people were getting more bearable. Sometimes they glanced at her and frowned. Other times, she was given a silent nod.

It was just for a week, anyway. The people would have to bear with her.

Keira found out this village, despite being old (and TV was plausibly something foreign), the people here were - for each other - amiable, helpful, and kind. They greeted each other by calling their names loudly, only to get Oh, hi, and how are you? back. Then they smiled and talked for a while. After a few minutes, they went on with whatever business they had.

It was a heartwarming sight. Keira never experienced stuff like that in Oxford - maybe her personality was to blame – but she never felt the need to wave her hand at someone and bless everyone around her with a smile.

While shaking her head to get rid of those feelings, Keira saw an opening. Something like a small path to the wilderness, leading her behind the houses. She strode towards it.

She walked for just a few minutes, yet it didn't take long to realize she was lost. Not that it was such a big deal. The forest was beautiful. Branches decorated with spider webs, massive roots under her feet and leaves showing the most comprehensive pallet of green one could ever see.

The earthy smell kept her steady, and she let the light and shadows dance on her cheeks. The uneven ground reminded her how sore her legs were from yesterday. She bowed down to smell the wildflowers. They gave this place a kind of sweet scent.

If they had a place like that in Oxford - well, there would be no need for her office. She would just sit there and let the work do itself while bathing in the sun and watching the pine branches clash in the soft wind. She felt like she was in a fairy tale.

After a while of the ground slowly rising, there was another opening opposite the one she had walked through before. It led her to an even brighter place.

She breathed heavily. Her fitness level must really suck. Her head was dizzy, and sweat broke on her back and face. She swiped her forehead with her palm and took another few deep breaths.

The branches formed an arch that led the light inside. A smile stretched on Keira's face with the thought that this must be the end of this unbearable hike. I'll sleep like a baby today, Keira thought to herself and walked towards it.

After she got through, she saw a meadow. The broad place was filled with wildflowers, bees, and crickets. The hot summer sun gave the grass a golden spark, and she smelled the clean air and growing grass.

Despite the hot weather, she shivered. That's when she realized where she was. In front of her, there was a mansion. A dark one. The wood was all coated black, the windows hidden with wind shutters. This place was the definition of a haunted house for her.

Keira took a step back, but her brain finally found its voice. She wasn't going to be afraid of a house. She knew better than that.

She shook her head and strode forward – not to the house but to the meadow. As soon as the sun hit her face, she felt her soul gleaming. It was a delightful feeling that spread from the top of her head to the tips of her fingers. She looked down at the village. The view was magnificent.