17

A moment later, Thane calmed down.
Keira wasn't sure if it was the horse - who disappeared soon after they noticed him, her care, or that the wave of emotion had just passed him. Maybe it was a combination of everything. She intertwined her fingers with his, and they both made their way through the steep forest back to the valley, to Rosehold.
It was certain now - more than anything. She was the Protector. She was a descendant of Sela. Most likely along the maternal line. It was no coincidence that she travelled here for three hours on the first day and had no doubt that she would arrive. It was no coincidence that she was attracted to magic just as a small child is attracted to the love of her parents. Here she felt at home, among her own. And the suspicion that this feeling was justified gave her the incredible confidence she desperately needed. 
Neither of them spoke the rest of the way. They didn't feel it was necessary. They both had a lot of questions in their heads and desperately few answers - and it was enough of a job to sort out those raging feelings - let alone to talk about it.
The sun hid behind dark clouds and the whole place fell into a quiet waiting. She could sense the rain in the air - but nothing came. It was as if Rosehold always tried to match her mood.
The village was empty. It was almost noon - so it was surprising that no one was around. Maybe they were preparing for the Fires? Last time the preparations took a whole day, too.
She shook her head. That was not what was important, now. She had to get answers.
But what would they do next? If they found out the truth, what difference did it make? Would it be okay for them to just carry on with their lives? How could she leave after all of that?
When they arrived in front of Joe's and Melly's home, Keira suddenly felt a tinge of nervousness.
"I don't think I wanna go there," she admitted.
It wasn't that she was afraid of Joe or anything, but the thought of him looking down on her made her shiver and question everything. Would it be good to tell him she's the Protector? Or is it something she should keep to herself? 
"I understand," Thane murmured. His voice was completely calm and she didn't catch a glimpse of his breakdown - as if it never happened. That was some discipline, she realized.
He got her a way out. She could just say she didn't feel okay and wait for him outside. Then she realized how stupid that would be. He went with her to Domeon, he stood there while watching her realize the truth. How could she just stand there and wait for him, not knowing how he took that news? And after all, this was her business, too.
So she shook her head. "I don't want to go there, but I will."
He eyed her suspiciously, so she raised her brows. "Are we going in or are you waiting for the rain?"
He smirked and took a step towards the door. He knocked, softly. That was a wide difference from the loud banging on Domeon's door.
Soon, they heard steps.
"Thane," Joe's surprised voice welcomed them. "What are you-"
Then, he noticed Keira standing behind him. He frowned.
"Joe, please," Thane began, lowering his voice. "Is Melanie in there?"
"What do you need from her?"
"Actually," Keira entered their conversation, "we came to you."
His frown seemed to take anything good that was left from his face. "I don't think that would be wise."
"Please," Thane pleaded again. 
Keira saw that Joe truly held Thane dear. His eyes seemed to soften every time he looked at him - and harden every time she spoke. "We know about Seth."
That made the difference. His expression changed from stoic to downright panicked and they were immediately dragged inside.

"Mel is not here," he stated once he noticed Keira scanning the room. "She's helping Lelia with the little dryad."
Oh, Dianthe. Keira remembered there was some problem with the little one. She really hasn't been a good friend lately - not even asking more about her.
Stop, Keira, she reprimanded herself. One thing at a time.
"Right," she mumbled.
Thane didn't seem bothered by this at all - exactly the opposite. His movements were more relaxed and the next time he spoke, his voice was certain.
"You knew, didn't you."
Joe motioned for them to sit at the very table she once occupied. It was the time Melly talked about her magic and her past. She cherished that memory. The old sorceress was one of her few allies back then.
"How did you find out?" Joe asked.
"That's our business," Thane replied before Keira could say anything. She felt a bit satisfied knowing that Thane wouldn't just easily give up her newfound identity.
"You silly boy," Joe hissed. "You don't know what you're doing."
Thane didn't even flinch at his words. "Boy? We're the same age."
Oh, Keira thought. It made sense, actually. He knew Raven. If Raven was her grandmother and he knew her - he had to be older.
"Doesn't look like it," Joe objected. "You're behaving like a kid."
"Why?" Keira asked, not able to hold back. "Just because he wants to know the truth?"
Joe frowned at her. "The truth should remain just as it is."
"We know Raven wasn't killed," she frowned back at him. "There's no use in trying to wrap things up."
The old man sighed, clearly annoyed she even opened her mouth. What was it that he hated so much about her? No, it wasn't hate. It was just pure annoyance.
"Why would you want to know anything? If I would talk about it, the only one who should know about it is Thane."
"Because I'm-" she stopped in the middle of her sentence. What was it she actually wanted to say? I'm Raven's granddaughter? I'm the Protector? No, that wasn't it. She still hadn't fully accepted the fact she could be someone with such a complex family history.
"She's my partner," Thane replied in her stead. She turned to him, only to meet his gaze, full of some emotion she couldn't decipher at the moment. She gave him a grateful smile and nodded in agreement.
"And he's mine."
Joe watched their expression and shook his head. "These youngsters."
The corners of her lips turned up at that. "Come on, Joe." She gave him her most sincere look. "We beg you."
His skin tightened into an expression trying to hide something painful. It was as if she had caught a butterfly in her hands and was slowly, methodically breaking its wings. The butterfly knew he would never fly again - and could do nothing but await his destiny.
His eyes, usually sarcastic or grumpy, were glassy and looked elder than ever.
Only now did she notice the soft blue spots in his irises. He must have had beautiful eyes during his youth. She was actually sure Joe used to be very attractive. His old man's body still seemed strong, full of life and elan. He wasn't one of those frail, feeble and gouty elderlies. She could see the hint of adventure that was written in the way he spoke, in his every little movement like scratching the back of his hand or tugging his lower lip when he was thinking. 
"There's so much you won't understand," he tried to reason with them. "There's no use in opening those wounds."
"My brother was labelled as a murderer!" Thane slammed his hand onto the table. Joe didn't even flinch, he just watched the young man in front of him with something she didn't expect - guilt.
Then, he finally began to talk.