5

It was soon obvious that Keira knew about the magic in Rosehold. Lelia took her to see the preparations for the Third Fire - and Keira couldn't shake the feeling she regretted it.

Everyone, literally everyone they met on their way to the centre of the village, was under Keira's tactless stare and Lelia had to use all of her threats to keep her from asking what kind of creature they were.

"Keira, I swear," Lelia told her as she grabbed her by the sleeve of her t-shirt, "If you do so much as stare at another - are you even listening?"

Keira leaned closer to her. "Is he a werewolf?"

"We don't have werewolves here," Lelia rolled her eyes. "If you won't listen to me, I'll turn you into a tree."

"Wow," Keira gasped. "Can you do that? What kind of tree?"

Lelia sighed and didn't reply. She didn't let her go, either. They marched forward and Keira couldn't help but feel a little bit more welcomed. One tiny part of her brain was still suspicious, prepared for the option that this was all a joke. She would just laugh it off and say she knew all along.
But it wasn't likely - depending on what she saw.

It could also be the cause of eating mushrooms. But she didn't have any. Or any other type of drug. But that didn't make too much sense. Or radiation - but was that true anyway? Or was it just the word these people spread to keep their village untouched? She would just have to wait and see.

As they made it to the centre, she could see an enormous firepit. It would be the biggest fire she has ever seen; she was sure about that. The size could swallow a whole tent.

"That looks," she had to find the word for it, "magnificent."

"I prefer dramatic," Lelia waved her hand in her amazement.

"So, what are those Fires really all about?"

"It's just reminding ourselves of our ancestors," Lelia answered, with a hint of sadness in her voice. "The only time of the year we can actually use our powers at full strength... and celebrate."

"What?" Keira turned to face her. "You can't use magic all the time?"

"We can," she admitted, "but we don't. It takes too much energy to do that regularly. But during that one week - we can use it freely."

"That sounds restraining," Keira mumbled. "What happens if you do?"

"It can drain you to the point it takes your life."

"Oh," Keira sighed. "But who made it that way? What are the rules for the use of powers?"

Lelia shrugged. "There are no specific rules in magic. But we had a few cases of our fellow people who were too caught up in the powers they possessed. It's all basic energy. Dryad's energy comes from the land and nature. We have to cultivate our bodies and minds to be able to use that energy. We're like a vessel. Once we're full, we can use some amount to, for example, grow a sprouts on your head." she smirked at Keira.  "But if we use it all and not let ourselves cultivate properly, we'll become an empty vessel. And that's too easy to break."

Keira nodded. If they didn't use their powers during the year, it really made this week special. "You don't use it, either?"

"No," Lelia smiled. "Me and Ethan, we made a promise. Rather than abusing our powers, we chose to use them sparely. And only for the prosperity of others - not for harm."

"That's so frivolous of you." Keira smiled. "But I don't think dryads could do any harm-"

She saw the spark in Lelia's eyes and her half-smile. "Okay, you're deadly. I take it back."