13

She brought her lips to his with certainty she never felt. Her arms wrapped around his neck and pressed herself close to him.
He was still as a stone, surprised - at first. The next second, she felt her body being wrapped with his arms. She drew in a shallow breath as he brushed his lips against hers. He kissed her carefully, almost as if he was afraid she would change her mind and pull away. She felt the uncertainty, the need for reassurance and the helplessness that came with the taste of his lips.
She pulled away, only to see his face disappointed, not willing to open his eyes. As if she did exactly what he expected.
Keira smiled and gave him a peck on the corner of his lips. She felt him tense, obviously confused. She brushed her lips against his cheek and whispered to his ear: "Can I do that again?"
Thane let out a breath he was holding. He turned his head in response and his mouth found hers. He pressed his lips to hers, wanting her, needing her, daring her to pull away. She had no intention to do that.
She pulled him even closer moaned. He used this opportunity, his tongue finding hers. She wanted to get lost, to melt in his hug. She wasn't afraid anymore.
Her hand bore into his hair and she enjoyed the satin sensation between her fingers. He growled into her mouth - something so raw it made her almost violent.
She wanted to protect him, to stay with him like this forever. She would never let him be away from her, she wanted to become a part of him.
Their lips brushed against each other and their hands roamed against their bodies until there was no definition as to where one body began and the other ended.
She felt herself burn against him, becoming a source of fire on its own and filling her with desire and passion she never knew.
Thane bore his hand into her hair and smiled against her lips, circling his tongue against hers. He pushed and she pushed back. The kiss was raw, needy and reassuring. She felt the doubts leave her mind with every stroke of his tongue against hers.
Suddenly, they were pushed by a force and parted away just in time to catch their balance, Thane's arms not leaving her waist.
She looked behind his shoulder only to see a mountain of black colour staring at them.
"No, he didn't," she growled and pushed herself from Thane's arms to fight that stupid horse.
She heard Thanes' laugh as he caught her and put his arms around her, hugging her from the back. She felt herself calm down but eyed the horse suspiciously.
Thane placed a kiss on her neck and murmured: "Seems to me he doesn't want to share."
Keira frowned. "I don't know, he was the one who made me go here."
Thane smiled against her shoulder.
"Then it seems I owe him a big deal."
It sounded way heavier than it was supposed to. Keira covered his hands with hers and leaned on him.
"What happens now?" She asked, not really expecting an answer. She knew something was happening but didn't know what it was. She felt an urge to be useful at whatever was coming next.
It was already the Fifth Day, she realized. She had only two days left.
Thane seemed to know exactly what she was thinking. He sighed. "That's up to you, Keira."
"That doesn't really help."
"I can't decide for you," he laughed and then added, in a more serious tone: "whatever happens, I'll respect your choice."
She turned around to see his face. "What was that?"
"What was what?"
"The face you just made."
He tried to hide it but she knew what she saw. Something was missing. The passion she felt in his kiss was not the thing she saw portrayed in his eyes. There was worry.
"Nothing," he mumbled and placed s soft kiss on her forehead.
Keira didn't want to make him say something he obviously didn't want to. If he was worried, there's nothing she could do about it. Not if he didn't tell her.
So she said nothing. She pretended to smile, laughing at her own overthinking. Knowing he knew it wasn't genuine, more like something she was willing to do to keep this moment alive a little bit longer.
The horse came closer to them. He sniffed at Keira and as if approving, neighed cheerfully at Thane. He laughed.
They sat on the meadow. It was now almost a habit. She could sit with him for hours, every day, enjoying the shades of the night or the wild colours of the day.
There was a silence, both of them being lost in thoughts. Keira couldn't contain her curiosity any longer.
"What was Raven like?"
She asked a question she already knew the answer to, just to prepare him for what she really wanted to know.
"She was... well, opposite of you." He smirked. "Why do you ask?"
"I just feel like there's something missing. Everyone seemed to love her. I can't believe anyone could be so pure as they say."
"But she was," he frowned, trying to recall something. "I remember Seth being out. He wasn't in a very good mood back then, nostalgic and drowning in self-pity."
"Why?"
He shrugged. "Losing our parents meant he became the descendant of our bloodline - not that it was anything to be proud of."
Keira listened, not daring to cut him off.
"My ancestry is full of blood and evil. That is one of the many reasons these people," he pointed to the village with his chin, "always believed anyone from that bloodline would follow the same pattern.
It doesn't matter how well you behave when you already have a label of being twisted. We fought against that in our own way."
"Is it possible to fight that?"
"My brother came to me when I was younger. He said we had numerous choices on how to act. But I just told him it doesn't matter, they already think we're the trouble. His answer was priceless."
"What did he say?"
Thane's corner of his mouth twisted upward. "Let's become the trouble, then."
"Oh, I remember. You were the tricksters."
"I don't know about that, but it was almost too easy to get away with just anything we did. Since people always assumed something worse, our little pranks became easily bearable."
"Isn't that abusing your power of fear?"
He shrugged. "Maybe."
She nodded. She could easily imagine him drinking some stolen alcohol or getting on everyone's nerves.
"Do you miss him?"
He looked ahead. "Not as much as I used to."
"How did you manage to feel that way?"
"It's something you need to make peace with. I don't hate him - I never will. I don't understand his actions, either. But I know he's still there. Closer than most people think."
There was a certainty that almost called for being questioned. She bit her tongue.
"You people will drive me crazy one day."
"Hm?"
She shook her head. "Nothing."