Chapter 3-Orvus

Meanwhile back in the Great Clock, Clank was still very much unconscious as he lied on the floor within the hallway just before where he was zapped. At that moment, the robot that attempted to help him out earlier arrived near him. Rufus stood atop a saucer that sat around the robot's neck. The robot then got to work on something within Clank's torso. He was working on it at rapid speed. Within little time, Clank woke up. The robot and Rufus took notice of this immediately. Robot: "Hello."

He was then spooked by Clank's sudden movements. Robot: "Ah! I'm sorry! I was only trying to help!" Rufus: "Clank!" Clank: "Hm, you were the robot who assisted me in my escape from Dr. Nefarious. I can see that you have already met Rufus." Robot: "Oh! This little guy? He helped me out of that broom closet that I was locked in." Rufus: "Mm-hm! Mm-hm!" Robot: "He seems to be quite resourceful."

Rufus climbed off of the robot and back on to Clank. Clank: "Tell me, what is your name?" Robot: "My name? Um...yes, of course. I am Sigma 0426A, but you can call me Sigmund. I am Junior Caretaker here at the Great Clock." Rufus: "Hm, Sigmund." Clank: "Forgive me, but what is the Great Clock?"

Just then, something popped out of Sigmund which startled Rufus. Sigmund: "Oh dear! We're late! Come! We don't have a lot of time! Figuratively speaking, of course."

Sigmund rushed off. Clank and Rufus exchanged confused glances with one another before Clank went off to follow Sigmund. Clank: "By the way, where is everyone? Are we truly the only ones here?" Sigmund: "Pretty much. Nefarious and his troops just picked up and left after that butler guy tossed you into the hall. Not a very pleasant lot, are they?" Clank: "No, they are not."

Rufus let out a raspberry. Rufus: "Nefarious!" Clank: "May I ask what the purpose of this facility is?" Sigmund: "This place? This is the Universe's greatest contingency plan." Clank: "Contingency...plan?"

He glanced at Rufus in a perplexed manner; Rufus shrugged his shoulders and let out another "I don't know" murmur. Sigmund: "You'll...find out more about it soon. Come, Orvus is waiting."

They continued on. As they advanced through the facility, Dr. Nefarious' accursed noise making machine, the Hypersonic Brainwave Scrambler, moseyed on through, causing more destruction. Sigmund: "No! No! No! Aw, come on! Stupid Hypersonic Brainwave Scrambler! And people wonder why we keep this place a secret."

They kept going for a tad bit afterwards. Soon enough, they arrived at a door. Sigmund stopped in front of it. Computer voice: "Access denied. Senior personnel only." Sigmund: "Open you optimal drive. This is senior personnel. I'm with XJ-0461...plus 1 guest."

The door opened for them, they were able to enter another chamber. Clank: "What is this chamber?" Sigmund: "This is one of our...special chambers, one of many that involve getting through via a special temporal procedure. You see, when you were unconscious, I took the liberty of installing a quantum actuator into your circuitry. It allows you to create multiples selves." Clank: "Multiple selves?" Sigmund: "Of course. How else would we be able to get anything done around here?" Clank: "How does this work exactly?" Sigmund: "It's simple. Just record your actions using the time pads and initiate them while the "present you" moves on to do other things." Rufus: "Huh?" Sigmund: "This procedure can be a little tricky. Here, let me show you how it works."