Chapter 1

I never said I wanted to move away. It's not like I even had a choice. Dad was in the military, and we moved more than 3 times a year. That explains why school was always a problem. I'm a pretty social person, so that wasn't a problem. The problem was that my friends never lasted long because of my life on the move.
I try not to complain often, though, because I know it's hard on dad and mom too. They feel like it's their fault, and it might be, but that doesn't matter. What matters is that my family stays together, because that's all I have.

We moved to Virginia in the summer. I loved our house. It was big, 3 stories, and had a giant backyard with a huge pool.
One day I decided to go climb my favorite tree when I heard a voice calling my name. All I heard was "Caroline! Caroline!" In a voice that sounded as young as mine. I looked around, thinking maybe I could make a friend. I was right. The brunette, short, skinny girl came running to the tree. "Can I climb with you?" She said. "sure" I said, acting like I wasn't happy to see her, but I really was.
"So what's your name?" I said. "Madeline," she said "but some call me Maddie. Whatever you want." She said. "Okay." I said. Madeline. I like that.
After we climbed the tree, she invited me inside her house. I said I would go tomorrow, because it was getting late.
The next day, I slept in, thinking the name over and over in my head. Madeline. I knew I'd never forget. I got up, ate breakfast, said good morning to mom, and went outside. I swung on the front porch swing looking at the baby blue sky. That's when I saw Madeline running towards me. She came on the porch and sat in the rocking chair beside me. "How did you sleep?" She asked. "Fine." I said. "Do you want to go to the creek today?" I had a creek at my old house. I used to go everyday. I loved it there, the place I could always get away. "Sure!" I said.
I got up, turned to the door, opened it, and invited Madeline inside. "Who do we have here?" She said, with excitement in her voice. "This is Madeline," I said "our next-door neighbor." Mom's face lit up. "Hello Madeline! Nice to meet you!" She said, with the biggest smile on her face. "Nice to meet you too, Mrs. Kelley!" I wondered how she knew my mother's first name, but didn't ask.
We walked about a block to the creek, which was more beautiful then I could ever imagine. "Wow," I said "it's beautiful." It reminded me of our first house before dad joined the military. The old house was one of the worst. It was a bright yellow, wooden house with almost no backyard. I am a soccer player, so I couldn't stand it.