Chapter 6

***A WEEK LATER***
School starts tomorrow. I packed my book bag with everything I needed, picked out my outfit for the first day of school, and put my schedule next to my ID. I was worried, but this is the first year of school that I'm actually excited, probably because I have many new friends.

• • •

I woke up to the smell of coffee, so I ran downstairs. I poured myself some and grabbed a blueberry muffin. I ran back upstairs, got dressed, French braided my hair, and brushed my teeth. Last to do was my makeup, which consisted of concealer, powder, gold eyeshadow, mascara, and some blush.

I grabbed 5 muffins and was out the door. At the bus stop, I handed out the muffins to Madeline, Katie, Paisley, and Aubrey. We all enjoyed them as we drank our coffee. We waited a while for the bus to come, so we had a picnic-like breakfast at the stop.

The bus finally came, and I sat with Madeline, Katie sat with Paisley, and Aubrey sat in the seat across from me. We laughed the whole time until we pulled into the school. None of us seemed to be too excited, but we still put fake smiles on our faces, trying to make the best of things.

We walked into the building, checked our schedules, and realized we all had the same classes. We squealed with happiness. The first day of school wasn't going so bad. Well, not yet.

We had gym first. We walked into the girls locker room, got changed into our gym uniforms, and walked out to the gym. I lived in the sunny Miami, Florida so we never really went outside for gym because it was so hot, and they didn't want people getting sick or dehydrated and possibly passing out.

We played kickball the first day. I was a pretty athletic person, so it was fun for me. But Aubrey, Katie, and Madeline weren't. Paisley wasn't necessarily the athletic type, but she still had fun. The other three stood in the back of the line, trying to avoid the coach. Eventually they got to the front, so they had to take their turn. Paisley and I giggled as Madeline kicked the ball over the fence. Someone had to go get it, so Paisley and I offered.

We opened the gate which separated the field and the school and walked around to the woods area. As we were searching for the ball, we heard a noise that sounded like an animal. We saw movement in the bushes and got curious. I whistled and out from the bush came a tiny puppy the size of a water bottle. I picked it up and we continued searching for the ball. Once we found it, we made our way back to the gate.

People surrounded us near the fence as we handed the dog to Coach Thompson. Everyone was lead back inside the gym to change out of our gym clothes. We were dismissed to our next class, which was careers in tech.