XXI

F A L L O N

"I heard from a friend of a friend that that dick, was a ten out of ten. I can't stand it, just one night me."

. . .

I'm in a bit of a daze the next morning, but I remember everything clearly and know that the brownies that Donia gave me, were with weed.

I send her a text saying that I hate her, and she just replies telling me that she loves me too.

Bitch.

Then I see that I have another message from Reed. A little groan escapes me as I see that he's agreed to have dinner with me and my family.

Just great.

He's asking me when and tells me that he's available any time.

Mom is in the kitchen when I enter, along with Nicholas. I halt a bit when I see him, but decide to ignore him all together.

I appreciate the fact that he took care of me, but I think it's best that we stay away from each other. 'Nothing is going to happen between us' is what he said.

Nothing will, then.

And this thing with Reed could be good. He's sweet and respectful from what I've seen, and I feel good around him.

"Mami," I greet her and press a kiss on her cheek. "Dios te bendiga. How was your night?"

"Good. Uh, remember the conversation we had yesterday?" I ask and fiddle with my fingers. She goes to finish her toast and puts it on a plate, asking me if I want one. I shake my head, not feeling hungry at all.

"Uh, what conversation?" she asks. "About the guy, and dinner..." I trail off, trying to ignore the intense gaze of a certain someone on me.

"Oh, yeah. Reed, was it?" she asks, and I nod. "Yeah, you told me to ask him to come to have dinner with us. He said yes and I was wondering if today would be a good day?" I ask.

She sighs. "I don't know, Mija. I have work to do," she replies.

"But mom, can't you get off a little earlier today? You don't even have to cook, I'll prepare something!"

She shoots me a look. I press my lips together, knowing I'm not that good in the kitchen. I've tried to make Dominican dishes before, but they never turned out that well.

"Or order something," I add. "Por favor," I beg.

Mom looks at me and lets out a little sigh. "Okay," she says, making me grin. "I'll close up earlier than usual and come home to make some dinner."

"Thank you," I smile and go to hug her, pressing a kiss on top of her head. She smiles. "Okay, now I've got to go," she says and takes her breakfast with her, before disappearing into the garage.

I turn around, ready to head out. "How are you feeling?"

Stopping in my tracks, I hesitantly turn around and meet Nicholas' eyes. "Good," I reply dryly. "Thanks for taking me up to my room, yesterday."

"Yeah, you looked pretty unable to do so yourself," he states, looking at me dead in the eye. I turn my hands into fists beside me but don't engage.

He can go fuck himself.

And that's why I flip him off, before turning around and scurrying away, out of the kitchen.