Birthday at the Burrow

The death of Albus Dumbledore came as a shock to the entire wizarding world.

Of all the wizards on earth that would have been expected to stave off the threat of another wizarding war, Dumbledore was at the top of the list. In the wake of his funeral, news reports of Death Eater attacks were making the front page on even muggle newspapers. It was evident that the war was raging on, right under their noses.

Every morning when the post arrived, Molly Weasley attempted to discreetly read it without arousing suspicion, often throwing it in the bin immediately after she registered the last words on the page. Ginny thought she did it to stay in the know without alarming her family to the chaos the world was erupting into. Any passerby could notice she was nervously knitting and keeping an eye on her family more than usual. Even a trip to the orchard on their property caused a lecture about keeping out of trouble and not straying too far.

Ginny held true to her promise of allowing Johanna to stay with her family, following the closure of Hogwarts and their understanding of the new world they were suddenly thrust into. Molly Weasley had been the most motherly figure Johanna had ever experienced and she was thoroughly enjoying it. Johanna never groaned or argued when Molly fussed over her, she always helped with setting up for meals and cleaning up, she listened to Molly's stories of all the children and their adventures, and she kissed Molly good morning and good night every single day. "Trying to steal my spot?" Ginny would tease as Johanna helped tidy up.

If only for a moment, in the burrow she could forget that she wasn't normal or that she hadn't had a family.

Of course, the burrow was packed with people. Ever since the funeral, Molly asked all of her children to return home to prepare for the wedding, Harry's arrival, and to keep her most prized possessions under her wing. As much as she complained when she heard Fred and George causing a ruckus or Ginny and Ron's arguing while Bill tried to intervene, Johanna knew that Molly loved things just the way they were, the chaotic messy Weasley way. Three weeks in the house was enough to convince Johanna that it was the only real way to live.

She didn't tell anyone about her birthday, not wanting anyone to have another event to deal with in their already jam-packed schedule. So, the night before, she laid in bed in Ginny's room, staring at the ceiling as she thought about everything.

Despite her tumultuous parting from the Death Eater who crushed her heart, she couldn't stop dreaming about him, visions of him floating through her mind like fog. Every time she closed her eyes to sleep, he would be there, an ever-present reminder of her failure to save him.

Johanna sighed deeply, raising her head to look at the clock on the wall above Ginny's bed.

12:07 am.

"Happy birthday to me," She grumbled, pushing herself off her pile of blankets on the floor and carefully getting to her feet. She peered at Ginny to ensure she was asleep, and tip-toed out into the hallway, closing the door as gently as she could.

She padded through the cluttered halls, making her way downstairs and eventually outside into the summer air, humid with a slight chill from a breeze that blew through the trees on the property. She liked to sit in the garden, watching as the flowers swayed and the gnomes played in the bushes. She had never witnessed anything so tranquil having always grown up in the city and her formative years spent in the darkened halls of the academy.

She planted her feet in the soil, outstretching her arms to grab ahold of a drooping branch, her fingers playing with the leaves hanging over her. The peace and serenity of the night wasn't enough to keep the thoughts of him away, but it did help her relax. She often worried about where he was, tucked away in the manor, surrounded by Death Eaters. When Draco left, she saw the fear in his eyes. She knew he wouldn't hold out against them and she could only hope he was safe.