A Step Is All It Takes

For many, Hogwarts was a home to return to and so they did with glee. First years sit with anticipation on the Hogwarts Express while returning students find their friends and wait in anticipation for another fun-filled year of classes and mischief. Some, however, sit in terror at the thought of arriving to the castle.

Johanna squeezed her way through the gathered students, trying to get through to an empty compartment while avoiding touching anybody. Most didn't even notice her while she wormed her way across the cars, trying her best not to get stuck behind the candy trolley. When her eyes wandered over to the compartments, she sighed with discontent. Most were filled to the brim with students raucously enjoying each other's presence.

She walked for what felt like an eternity, passing students of all looks and ages, but luckily, they seemed too enthralled with their own lives to even give her a second glance. This was a relief to her and allowed her to relax slightly. She never really liked to be in the spotlight, apart from her dances.

When she found herself in front of a compartment with empty spaces, she stopped suddenly. She debated internally whether she should take her chances with the three figures or risk this one getting full while she searched for another. While she did so, a figure bumped her hard. She caught herself before slamming right into the glass of the door. She groaned, looking back to see who collided with her.

"Don't just stand in the aisle, you're blocking the way," The figure sneered, not even glancing her way as he hurried towards another car. All she could see was his light blonde hair flying past her. She shook her head with a sigh, rolling her eyes at his rudeness. She made her way in, not bothering at this point to even be anxious about the prospect of meeting these people.

Her annoyance melted as she slumped into her seat, looking up at the three figures in the compartment. Two boys and a girl, the girl peering over at her inquisitively. Johanna couldn't help but look back at her, a small smile appearing on her lips to lighten the mood.

"Hello," the girl chimed in an airy voice, her bright eyes trailing over Johanna with unadulterated curiosity.

"Hello," Johanna responded, looking between the two boys who were now looking at her too. The boy in front of her pushed his glasses higher on the bridge of his nose, he smiled too.

"I don't think we've met before," He nodded slightly as he said that.

"I don't believe we have," She forced a laugh, "Johanna."

"Harry," He nodded again.

"Neville," The other boy raised his hand. He looked to the girl, we continued to gaze at Johanna, seemingly unaware it was her turn to speak. "That's Luna," Neville added.

Luna's smile never wavered as she stared, tilting her head slightly, "Ever heard of Crakwitcks?"

"I'm sorry?" Johanna replied.

"They're like boogeymen, they have a very distinctive smell. There's a lot of them in Germany," She assured, setting her magazine in the seat beside her.

Johanna recoiled, unaware that she had a smell. Harry could tell she took a slight offense and rushed to her aid, "I don't think she means YOU smell. Luna just... She's very aware of magical creatures."

Johanna forced another laugh, trying to recover from her embarrassment, "I'm just surprised she knew where I was from."

"Germany?" Neville asked, raising an eyebrow, "What year are you?"

"Sixth year."

"How come we've never met you? What house are you in?"

She shook her head, trying to piece together a coherent story that wouldn't reveal too much too quickly.