Aftermath

The sun spilling through the window is what wakes me up, instantly regretting not drawing the curtains closed last night

Reaching for my phone, I notice it is already the morning and my mother will be waking up soon. I need to get back home before she wakes up or I am in so much trouble.

Rafe stirs next to me, still fast asleep.

I decide against waking him up, instead, I peck his cheek softly and slowly get out of his bed. 

His window is slightly open, so the chilling air is murder to my bare body. Rummaging through the pile of clothes at the foot of his bed, I manage to find all my clothes and make myself look somewhat presentable.

Leaving his room, the creak of his door is unforgiving.

"Beth?" And I am caught.

"Saz? What are you doing awake at this time?" I try to play it casually.

"I guess catching you sneaking out of my brother's room on your walk of shame" she smirks, "nothing shameful about having sex with my boyfriend" I match her smirk. "Ewww!" She cringes, "don't give me a mental image," she scolds.

"Are you going to help me not get caught by any more of your family, or not?" I request.

"Of course I am, come on" she gestures for me to follow her down the stairs, "your mom is going to kill you by the way" she whispers. "Yeah, I know" I pause as she checks whether anyone is at the end of the stairs.

"You are all clear" she informs me before looking wide-eyed at something behind me.

"What's wrong?" I turn around.

"THE MICE!" She yells and runs outside, leaving me incredibly confused.

"Okay, then" I escape out the front door but with my luck, I spot her dad walking towards the house. I dive behind one of the cars. I really don't want to explain why I am here this early.

"I haven't seen him since before the storm," the woman he is walking with says.

"What did the police say?" Ward asks.

"Well, they said I have to wait 24 hours before I can report anything but I know something is wrong" she replies, concern in her voice.

"Nothing is wrong, you know it's Scooter, he knows how to handle himself in a storm" Ward tries to comfort the woman I am guessing is Scooter's wife.

"Well, when was the last time you saw him?" She questions, their footsteps getting closer to my hiding location.

"Uh, last time I saw him, he was prepping the Druthers with Sarah" Ward replies. 

"Well I know your son is dating Elizabeth Shoupe, is there any way you could ask him to ask her to convince her father to look into this" she requests.