1.0

March 2020

Danielle Davis

Another month goes by and I'm starting to feel a little more comfortable in the new city. With the friends I've made, it's almost impossible not to be slightly more comfortable. The nausea subsided a little, but not as much as I would like. I still feel sick every now and then.

Like today. Raegan and I made plans to go to brunch, but my nausea did nothing but interfere majority of the time. It actually frustrates me that this is happening and I don't know what it is.

"It could be a diagnoses for something." Reagan said.

"Like what?" I ask.

He shrugs. "A rare disease. You know."

I frown at the thought that I could be suffering from something life threatening.

"Don't scare her like that Raegan." Lily, one of the dancers at the school—and a new friend of mine—scolded him.

"What?" Raegan says. "I'm just being honest."

Lily rolls her eyes, looking at me. "I'm sure you're fine Dani. It could just be a stomach bug. It'll bypass."

"Stomach bugs don't usually last this long." I counter. "I'm a perfectly healthy human being. This cannot be happening right now."

"Well, it is. And if it goes on any longer, you should go see a doctor." Lily suggested.

I nod at that. Raegan furrows his brows.

"Dani, when was the last time you got your period?" He asked me.

"Around mid-January." I say. It's been a while.

He and Lily look at one another, leaving me slightly confused.

"It's March." Lily said to Raegan.

"She can't be." He said back.

"Uh...guys?" I wave my hand. "I'm still here."

They both look at me after I say that.

"Did you get your period at all last month?" Lily asks.

"No." I furrow my brows. "What is happening? Why are you asking me these questions?"

Raegan pays the bill, then drags me out of the booth with Lily following behind. I was utterly confused at this point.

"What the-"

They call us an Uber before dragging me back to my hotel room. They sit me down in the lounge chair.

"Stay." Raegan points at me.

I don't bother to move, despite my confusion. They were moving around like chickens with their heads cut off, before deciding that one of them should stay and watch me while the other went out to grab a few things.

I took that time to FaceTime Natalie and tell her what was happening.

N: Yo, yo, yo! What's the dealio?
D: Help me. I'm being held captive.

She furrows her brows.

N: By who?

Lily takes the phone.

D: By me!
N: Oh hey Lily.
D: Hey girl.

I take the phone back, narrowing my eyes at Lily.

N: What did you do Dani?
D: Nothing! That I know of...

Lily takes the phone once again, before walking away and locking herself in the bathroom. I huff out a breath of irritation, pouting as I wait for whatever it is they have me waiting for.