Garden Song

The weekend saw Luka pedaling his way to Jardins des Plantes, Sabrina was being dropped off. He left early and took his time. It wouldn't do to be a sweaty mess on your first date. His shirt was itchy, when was the last time he wore a button down; or Jeans without holes? His sweatshirt was in the basket though, not going to leave that behind when Sabrina might need it, museums were normally kept frigid.

Luka was early when he locked up his bike. He tied his sweatshirt around his neck and made his way towards the entrance to the gardens. Visitors strolled in and out of the public entrance, Luka glimpsed through the gates but found himself a nice bit of wall to lean on, letting his mind wander forward and back, what the day might hold, and how he got here. His eyes took in but didn't see the people passing before him, yet after a little time something was nagging him. It wasn't enough to bring him out of his thoughts, more an impression, someone familiar but not.

"Senpai! Notice me!"

Luka jumped. She had been right in front of him, but then, she wasn't her, at least Luka hoped, forgivably so. He shook his head to clear it and grinned. Sabrina did a playful pirouette under his gaze and grinned up at him.

"I did -er am." Luka pushed off the wall and for the first time in his life stuck his hands in his pockets to accompany his sheepish grin,"You look lovely today."

Sabrina glowed. She swept her hands across the short skirt of the peach sundress she was wearing,"I know! This was Chloé's. She got it because it was the only one the designer made that season, but peach isn't her color so-" Sabrina brought her hands, clad in white gloves, up under her chin and bounced. "The hat is mine." Sabrina's hands traced the wide brim of her creme colored derby hat.

None of this was what held Luka's attention though. Each time she moved and spun back to him his eyes found hers. "Your glasses?"

Sabrina ohed and blinked dramatically up at him without lenses between them,"I do own contacts, but they're so hard to put in I almost never do. I mean *plastic* against your eyes. Eww." She shivered, then asked,"Is it okay?" from energetic to timid like a switch. Luka was beginning to understand that feeling though.

"I like it." he assured her, and the timidity melted before his eyes,"I like both really. Glasses is the Sabrina I know. This." Luka leaned in,"This is like getting to share a secret normally hidden behind a curtain."

Sabrina whined and stamped her foot,"Sweet stuff!" she accused, hiding her face.

Luka reached up and lifted the brim of her hat, peeking under it,"Hey. We're on a date, I'm allowed."

Sabrina puffed up her cheeks at him but relented, reaching out tentatively to take his arm,"Not fair." she added with a mock-pout.

Luka turned into her questing hands and she snuggled up to his side,"Nope." he agreed, leading them into the gardens.

The gardens themselves were pleasant, and a change of pace. It was no trip to the country, but the city had managed to pack boundless colors, shapes, and varieties of flowers and plants into a small area with careful planning. Luka embraced the peace that came with the green, it contrasted so sweetly with the bustle of energy as Sabrina broke loose periodically to crouch down and ooo at a particular flower, or even more so in the herb gardens.

She always came back slightly flushed with some tidbit to share with him, and as they progressed her white gloves became progressively more smudged from holding herself up while leaning over in a crouch. After the fourth time her hat fell off Luka and Sabrina simply took turns holding it rather than fight it back on again.

Before long Luka joined her on these little adventures, crouching down beside her, reading off names he knew he wouldn't be able to remember, and getting ten times as many observations shared at the source. -There! He almost had it. As soon as he focused it was gone. Sabrina's song still eluded him, but he could feel it. Luka let it go and soon it was teasing the edges of his brain again, taunting him.