Chapter 3

I wake up to a sore throat and beads of sweat running down my skin. The light is blinding and the room is spinning. What is going on?

"Evangeline! You're going to be late lets go!" my mom shouts as she enters my room. I feel like I am in body but I'm not. Like I am a bad movie in slow motion waiting for the inevitable crash.

"Sweetheart. You have to get up. I told you to go to bed last night. It is your fault if you didn't listen. Suffer the consequences. Lets go. Up and at'em." she walks up to my bed and swipes the drenches hair away from my burning face.

"Oh, honey. Do you not feel well? Let me get the thermometer." she leaves the room only to come back a moment later with pep in her step as she sticks the thermometer into my mouth. When she pulls it out I can barely make out the temperature. It read one hundred three degrees.

"John!!!!" My mom screams fear lacing her tongue as she lashes out my dads name.

"What!? If she doesn't want to get up just let her be! One day won't ruin her!" he yells back oblivious to the grim reaper grasping at my slipping health.

"John! Get up here! Something is wrong with Evangeline!" my father walks into the room and his face goes pale when he takes in my soaked limp body.

"John!!!" my mother screams to get his attention.

"Go get the car and pull it to the front. We are taking her to the hospital." my father commands my mom as he wraps his bulging arms under my body and picks me up.

"Damn. You're burning up." His arms tighten as he bolts out my door and down the stairs, his steps pounding through my body. He lays me across my mothers lap and shivers run through my body. Stars start to form and cloud my vision.

"Hurry up!!! She is shivering!" The car revs to life and speeds into traffic. Lights flash before my eyes. My moms body shakes as tear rush down her face, dripping onto my cold, lifeless body. I welcome the darkness as reality slips away, welcoming the warmth my body once had.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My eye lids are weighed down by an invisible force as I slowly open them. The bright light stings my eyes. Where am I? What happened? I turn my head slightly and realize for the that I am not in my room. I don't know how I got here. The walls are covered in this awful grey green and white striped wall paper. The chair are hard wooden chair that look like they could break if you touched them. I am hooked up to a whole bunch of machines beeping at the most inconveniently annoying rate. I realize now that I am in a hospital room. The smell of chlorine and urine taints the air. I feel someone shuffle next to me and Shawn is sleeping with his head lying on the bed right next to my leg. He looks like a child when he sleeps. His chest moving up and down to a steady beat. 

Sitting up is a marathon is and of itself. Shawn stirs awake. Even his tired eyes are burning a whole in my heart.

"Your awake. You really scared us."

"Wha....What happened?" I ask.

"Well, I don't know anything. The Doctor wouldn't tell me anything because I am not family. Your parents haven't been able to stay the whole time because of business so I have been keeping you company. Let me go get the Doctor." he squeezes my hand and leaves me alone in this cavernous room. 

"Hello, Ms. Jones. How are you feeling?" asks the Doctor. He has bushy eyebrows that look like caterpillars are taking a nap on his forehead. His chocolate brown hair is pulled back into a ponytail with little curls poking out. He pushes his black rim glasses up his nose and looks at his chart.